Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Felder FB610 vs Minimax MM24

Are ceramic guides that much better?

Rich,
    Did you feel the quality of Felder machines was less than minimax and if so why? Specifics would be good.
    Thanks,
    Chuck

Thanks Mike. I'll look into the chain drive vs. rack and pinion.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Scheuermann View Post
    Are ceramic guides that much better?
    Everyone who has them that I've read has loved them .
    I've yet to get mine fully installed So I can't say from my personal use
    but from what I see when I had the top bearings in they are Super Easy & Very Simple to adjust in a matter of seconds .
    the white ceramic color on the contact point makes a good contrast to tell where the guide is at in relation to the saw blade
    that may not seem like a big thing but to my eyes it is a big benefit
    the ceramic is meant to run cooler than metal to metal contact
    then the lack of a actual moving bearing that would wear
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Scheuermann View Post
    Hi Keith,
    Looks nice. How long does it take to change blades and set it up?
    What's the toughest piece or tallest you've resawn and how did it go? Did you ever feel you needed more power?
    Chuck,

I purchased my Felder FB 610 with a one inch blade on it and its still on the saw. I plan to order a better quality one inch blade sometime in the future.
    The only material that I have re-sawed so far is Corian. I occasionally need to re-saw 3" to 4" tall Corian to make 1/8" thick pieces for inlays. One of these days I will re-saw something that will be a challenge but it will take a tall piece to make the 5hp motor labor

I have the older Felder FB540. The FB510 was a lighter frame version. I believe the FB540 was built by ACM. With the 600 series saws Felder has moved manufacturing in-house. I toured the Felder Factory a couple of years ago and it's very impressive. All the sheet steel parts are CNC laser cut with alignment tabs and notches everywhere. They are then CNC folded, tack welded by hand, and then robotic welded. I have complete confidence in Felder tools.

Also, I have the Ceramic guides and I love them. I had them on a Laguna HD16 and when I sold that I bought them for the Felder FB540.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    Also, I have the Ceramic guides and I love them. I had them on a Laguna HD16 and when I sold that I bought them for the Felder FB540.
    They are Nice aren't they
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

You can get a single or 3 phase.
    If I get the 24 I may ask you about that feeder. Won't it work on a MM20?

HI Joe,
    Isn't everything CNC cut these days? On another note, I went by Eagle Tools near me to look at the bandsaws (they have Laguna and Agazzani). Jesse, the owner though said he has no idea when can get an Agazzani because they are mid transition, purchased by a German company. Does Martin make a bansaw?. Just a thought. They looked real nice but the size of the trunnion gear that tilts it under the table did not really impress me, seemed wimpy but I am no expert. I've seen a photo of the Felder FB610 and it is a solid trunnion (if that term is correct) and a separate "gear" to tilt it.

Aggi - or at least the name and parts were bought by Panhans. It is unclear if they will produce bandsaws. Martin does not make a saw. They rebadge some Griggio machines and Griggio buys ACM and rebadges similar to Felder. Dave

It will but the table really is about 2"-3" too small on my MM20. I just dont use it enough.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Hi Mike,
    Do you have a photo of the feeder? Is it a Minimax product?

I have a really old 24" SCM / Centauro bandsaw.. I love it .. was using it tonight.. Its been so long since I ripped lumber on the table saw, I probably forgot how.

I guess what I am saying is mine is about 25 years old and I still love it ..

I think your comparing the top of the heap. ACM, MM and Felder. Can't go wrong.