Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Felder FB610 vs Minimax MM24

Lightbulb Felder FB610 vs Minimax MM24

Hello all you big bandsaw owners. I've read some posts about both these saws but would like any opinions. I'm looking at getting one of these and without price in mind, which would you choose? I'm interested from both owners of these machines their opinion. I have a cabinet shop and know I can get some good use out of a big bandsaw for cutting my own veneers, thin strips, or just ripping wood, making corbels, circles, etc. Any downsides to either? Which is more industrial? I know the resaw height of the MM24 is close to 24" and the Felder 16", but I doubt I'll need more than 16", but I suppose it's possible. Which is easier to setup, change blades, and more versatile? Some answers I know will probably be opinion only but still I'd like to know. Which will stand up to abuse better (sorry, sometimes employees aren't as careful as us owners). Thanks.

I liked my MM24 so much I bought a second one. I abuse them and they hold up very well. Absolutely no complaints with them. If I need another bs I will go right to minimax.

-Greg Stahl

the information I have gathered is that MM BS is more suitable for production, Felder BS is more for professional who builds one off item.

my MM16 will arrive soon. I originally ordered a S45N, changed to MM16.

The real comparable would be the Felder 640 that is sourced from ACM. Shorter resaw height but closer in build. Both Centauro and ACM are italian. Dave

I own both Minimax and Felder/Hammer tools. Without a doubt I would select the Minimax for the after-service assistance as much as the quality of the product.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    The real comparable would be the Felder 640 that is sourced from ACM. Shorter resaw height but closer in build. Both Centauro and ACM are italian. Dave
    Yes, David, I guess you're right on the comparison. The FB640 is 1500.00 or so more than the MM24 though. I can get a "scratch and dent" Felder FB610 right now for 3600.00 + tax/shipping, but will I be happy in the long run- sometimes that's hard to predict.

Interesting.... did you have their bandsaws?

I got a S500P (MM20) in January , I Love It
    very robust & very well made putting the Laguna Ceramic guides & Driftmaster fence system on it this week
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

I purchased the FB 610 for my shop. While I can't compare it to the MM machines I can say that I have been more than pleased with my new band saw. Compared to any of the band saws I have owned in the past.....well I guess I can't compare it because none of my previous saws have been this large a machine. In my one man sign shop the new Felder gets a real workout because I don't use my table saw anymore.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I purchased the FB 610 for my shop. While I can't compare it to the MM machines I can say that I have been more than pleased with my new band saw. Compared to any of the band saws I have owned in the past.....well I guess I can't compare it because none of my previous saws have been this large a machine. In my one man sign shop the new Felder gets a real workout because I don't use my table saw anymore.
    I see you move that Felder with a pallet jack , I do the same with my MM S500P (MM20) , I doubled the 4x4 with a cross of boards I needed the table up higher due to a bad back , the slight bend over is what kills me when I have to hold the slight bend for any length of time
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

MiniMax bandsaws use chain drive to elevate the guide post. I can't think of any other that does. This system is lots less apt to clog with sawdust. I rarely have to adjust my guides after raising or lowering them. Try that when your rack and pinion's all filled with dust and moves thing while elevating. I love my mm24, probably been made for 40 years or more, big upgrade from my Agazzani.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mahan View Post
    I see you move that Felder with a pallet jack , I do the same with my MM S500P (MM20) , I doubled the 4x4 with a cross of boards I needed the table up higher due to a bad back , the slight bend over is what kills me when I have to hold the slight bend for any length of time
    Michael,

Once I got my band saw inside my shop I found it real easy to move around with my mini-pallet jack. After I set it in place I noticed the height seemed best on the 4 by 4's. I'm not sure why the saw height is designed to be so low, I'm with you that bending over constantly would be nothing but a pain in the back. The next time I get my planer setup I plan to machine three new pieces so I can have a center piece to spread out the load better.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Michael,

Once I got my band saw inside my shop I found it real easy to move around with my mini-pallet jack. After I set it in place I noticed the height seemed best on the 4 by 4's. I'm not sure why the saw height is designed to be so low, I'm with you that bending over constantly would be nothing but a pain in the back. The next time I get my planer setup I plan to machine three new pieces so I can have a center piece to spread out the load better.
    I put my MiniMax FS41 up on 4x4 & then cross members of full lenght back front multiple rows of 2x8 +3/4 plywood top , so it negated the need for a center member
    I also place vibration isolators/levelers at all 4 corners of the pallet assy both bandsaw & Jointer/planer due to uneven shop floor
    the MiniMax BS now will do nickle test

A MM24 is not single phase. May not be an issue for you.

I own a MM20 and it is awesome.

If you want a feeder for your 24 let me know.

Id check delivery lead times on both saws.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Hi Keith,
    Looks nice. How long does it take to change blades and set it up?
    What's the toughest piece or tallest you've resawn and how did it go? Did you ever feel you needed more power?