Thread: What good quality gravity HVLP gun do you recommend?

What good quality gravity HVLP gun do you recommend?

As you may have seen in my other thread my Fuji XPC gravity gun is leaking at the cup lid. I am expecting new parts from the manufacturer to try out, but I don't have high hopes as I have seen the other thread here that says it can continue to leak. So, I would like to look for other alternatives. I will be using the gun with a Fuji Q4 Pro, 4 stage turbine.

I am open to all brands, just want something that is proven to work and high quality. Let me know your recommendations.

you could try the 3m pps system as opposed to buying a new gun. my understanding is the fuji gun is a decent one, but i've not used it. i use the apollo 7500 gun which i like a lot.

I thought about the PPS but not really excited about it for the following reasons:
    - the version that fits my gun comes only in large size making the overall gun size way bigger than what it is now and clunky
    - I do spraying infrequently and don't want to add more parts and pieces to the setup. For me the standard gun with the 400 mL cup is just the right setup
    - I don't want to invest more good money (close to $200 when it is all said and done) into this gun just to basically address the leak problem.

I will look into the Apollo gun. Look forward to hearing more recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by David Hawxhurst View Post
    you could try the 3m pps system as opposed to buying a new gun. my understanding is the fuji gun is a decent one, but i've not used it. i use the apollo 7500 gun which i like a lot.

Frank,
    How full are you filling the cup? I typically fill my cup 1/2 - 2/3 full. I've had the same problems with other gravity cups when filled full, they tend to leak when you don't keep the fluid below the cap.

I've adjusted my spraying technique to try to keep the fluid below the cap/gasket. I started this before I got the Fuji system.

If I have a larger job I use a pressure pot or switch to a quart cup.

Craig,

I do in fact fill the cup to about 80% or more, about the same level as those indents on the top part of the cup that engages with the lid threads. I am pretty sure I get finish to the lid when I am spraying. So, I will see if I can address the problem by filling it less and paying attention to not get finish up there. This makes me think perhaps the PPS system (despite being clunky) may not be a bad idea if this problem is common among all gravity cup guns as I want to stay with that style. Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Coney View Post
    Frank,
    How full are you filling the cup? I typically fill my cup 1/2 - 2/3 full. I've had the same problems with other gravity cups when filled full, they tend to leak when you don't keep the fluid below the cap.

I've adjusted my spraying technique to try to keep the fluid below the cap/gasket. I started this before I got the Fuji system.

If I have a larger job I use a pressure pot or switch to a quart cup.

I use an Accuspray gun with my Fuji, works well. But I use the PPS system, too.

Too bad they(3M) don't make a pressurized midi cup, that would be just the right size for you.

Best,
    Bill

Check out CA Technologies HVLP gravity fed guns. Very well built, and zero complaints IRT performance.

I bought a Jaguar from J. Jewitt, but an unscrupulous neighbor wanted it also, so I had it replaced with a second.