Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Milling

Minnesota Milling

Hello, has anyone purchased lumber from Minnesota Milling in Farmingham, MN? Thoughts?

Thanks

I would be interested in knowing more about them. I am just down the road from Farmington, MN but have not heard of them. In the past I would buy most of my lumber from a sawmill just outside of Spring Valley, WI. Lately I have been buying most from the local Fleet Farm.

Robert

I emailed them when I was looking for some maple. I got a quick courteous reply.

If I get a email reply, I figure they are worth doing business with.

Before you buy from Minnesota milling you better read the Better Business Bureaus complaint form on him, it's BAD

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Parent View Post
    I would be interested in knowing more about them. I am just down the road from Farmington, MN but have not heard of them. In the past I would buy most of my lumber from a sawmill just outside of Spring Valley, WI. Lately I have been buying most from the local Fleet Farm.

Robert
    Is it the same as Matt Collins business? His family has a tree service and does sawing and drying.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kendal View Post
    Before you buy from Minnesota milling you better read the Better Business Bureaus complaint form on him, it's BAD
    ...1 bad review and you'll throw him under the bus? Weird.

I purchased a large live edge walnut slab from him. I thought it was an excellent experience and a very reasonable price. You will not find a better price on walnut slabs around and you will not find the selection either.

The bad: I had 5 Ash borers come through the sap wood after the first year. It's been 5 years now and I'm in the clear. It actually added a bit of character and it's a good story. I suspect this may be a problem no matter where you go and it's the luck of the draw.

If you have any other questions let me know. I'd highly recommend the operation. The owner is great.

Not sure where the "1 bad review and throw him under the bus" comment is coming from. I just checked the BBB site and found 3 seemingly unresolved problems. 2 involve no product delivery after accepting a down payment. The last one is more of a "Customer Service/Warranty" issue and seemingly less of an issue for those of us just purchasing wood.

If I did business with him, I'd certainly use a credit card and have the specifications/lead time etc in writing.

Another very bad review on Minnesota Milling on yelp.
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/minnesota-milling-farmington

I also have a friend that works at Hunters Point Resort. They bought some slabs from Minnesota Milling that were suppose to be kiln dried. They were over 20% moisture. They can't even get a hold of the guy now.

I talked to Matthew Collins of Mathew Collins Designs via DM this morning. It's not him the OP is referencing. He's got a kiln, and a pretty straight shooter I think. I haven't done any business with him myself, but I know a few guys that own shops that have bought from him and they have been pleased with his product.

Castle Rock is ten minutes south of Farmington MN, so not too far away from the other guy.

http://www.matthewcollinsdesigns.com/

He's got a pretty active Instagram page as well. They get to play with some cool toys in the logging industry.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    Not sure where the "1 bad review and throw him under the bus" comment is coming from. I just checked the BBB site and found 3 seemingly unresolved problems. 2 involve no product delivery after accepting a down payment. The last one is more of a "Customer Service/Warranty" issue and seemingly less of an issue for those of us just purchasing wood.

If I did business with him, I'd certainly use a credit card and have the specifications/lead time etc in writing.
    The BBB complaints are for a business in Burnsville, MN not Farmington, which is 26 miles away. There my be two different companies.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    The BBB complaints are for a business in Burnsville, MN not Farmington, which is 26 miles away. There my be two different companies.

Burnsville is more like 5 miles away. Probably 15 miles driving.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Burnsville is more like 5 miles away. Probably 15 miles driving.
    The point is why would there be a Burnsville address on the complaints if the business is located in Farmington?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Really Elliot? you buy a slab that's suppose to be kiln dried and bugs come boring out and you think that's the luck of the draw? Part of kiln process is to raise the temp and kill all bugs, eggs so that doesn't happen.

Hi guys. This is Matthew Collins Designs. I am not Minnesota milling. Just FYI
    I am in castle rock Mn.

At the end of every kiln cycle you need to sterilize the load. This kills any bugs in the wood. To do this you need to crank the heat up to 140 degrees or higher. I bring it up to 160 for a few days. Hope this helps! Any questions feel free to ask
    I’m on Facebook Instagram and YouTube
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 03-22-2018 at 2:18 PM. Reason: removed link to OP's for profit website