Thread: Replacement Chuck for Sears Drill Press

Replacement Chuck for Sears Drill Press

About six months ago I purchased a Sears drill press model 113.213853. Recently the chuck failed and the jaws fell out. Upon dis-assembly it appears that the chuck was worn severely internally. I contacted Sears but the chuck which is retained by a collar that screws on the quill is no longer available. There is no slot in the quill to remove the chuck, but the retaining collar forces the chuck off of the quill in order to remove the chuck. It is a Sears part number 71318. The chuck and spindle appear to be an MT2 taper with a J33 chuck.

The markings on the chuck are as follows: LP-16SC and below that it is marked 16m/m (5/8) J33. In researching the taper is is pretty standard. My concern is that there is no slot in the quill to remove the chuck after installation. The bottom of the quill is threaded to accept the collar, which is fastened to the chuck with an retaining ring. The dimensions of the extension on the chuck taper is 0.344 inches and its diameter is approximately 0.862 inches. Any assistance in identifying a compatible chuck would be appreciated. The drill press is adequate for my needs and in reasonable condition otherwise and it seems to be a waste to salvage the motor and discard the drill press.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Any chuck with a J33 taper ought to work. Without the retaining collar, just make sure the spindle and the chuck are clean, then drive it on with a rubber or wooden mallet. If you want one with the retaining collar, look for the Jacobs model 34-33C. Sears in fact lists that one on its Web site.
    Chuck Taylor

Hi John,

Jacobs still makes a J33 chuck with a retaining nut (1st link below). Not sure it will fit your press or not. My general 34-01 has a chuck similar to this, but I ended up getting a keyless chuck instead. You can buy wedges for removing the chuck (2nd link).

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TZR8TC/...I3PL1IFE8GWTRH
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...chuck%20wedges

Any chuck on an MT2 taper should work if the drive is MT2. Heck even Harbor Freight has those.

If your chuck was that trashed you may want to go through checking bearings too!

I appreciate the help and guidance. I will probably check out the Harbor Freight solution, since the drill press really doesn't warrant an investment in a quality chuck, which would cost almost as much as I paid for the unit. It sounds like I can acquire a fairly decent J33 chuck for less than $25.00 and forego the use of the retaining collar. I really like the idea of using a ball joint tool for removal of the chuck, if necessary. This is a great forum with some great members. Your assistance is invaluable and I want to thank everyone who responded.