Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 hours of your time

2 hours of your time

So, my question is two fold:

How many unfinished projects do you have in your shop?

What can you finish in 2 hours?

I have a few...but my rule is never have more than three unfinished projects at a time. Some jigs to build, some small pieces....

Below is two adirondacks that I made with my brothers over 2 years ago...for many reasons these chairs were never finished and today, in 2 hours, I put them together and Voila, 2 chairs. It felt like a freebie....

What do you have in your shop?
    Attached Images Attached Images

See! I told you she was fast!

Gail, since you have so much "free" time, I could use 2 of them. They would look great on our front porch.

Oh Gail, did you have to ask that question?

1. Couch table for my wife, in final stages of finish, oil is on, needs 3 coats of Waterlox on the base. More than 2 hours, I am afraid. Waterlox needs to dry several days between coats. Still learning about rubbing it out. This is priority one.

2. Blanket chest started 2 years ago. Needs the top attached, a base built, and the inside drawer built and installed. This one is for my daughter. I have been delaying this project, trying to figure out how and what kind of molding to put around the lid.

3. Small book/nebulizer shelf for my son. It will go next to his bed when it is done. Need to build a base for it, 75% complete.

4. Shaker round stand...Bill Grumbine can tell you how many years ago I turned the center post...3 or maybe 4? I'll get it done someday, Bill, I promise.

5. Small Shaker carrier. Done except for the bent ash handle. I need to find some ash, and then learn how to do steam bending.

6. Shaker side table. This is the one I posted a while back on the design forum. It looks great, and just needs two drawers to be complete.

7. 1/3 scale Shaker blanket chest. I sized this one to fit my FWW collection and woodworking magazines. The carcase is done, I need to make the bottom and glue it together.

The good news is that my skills have been getting better, and I did finish two whole projects this year , the Shaker serving tray I posted, and a small bedside table that I am waiting to post next to the two drawer version.

My dovetails are not perfect, but getting better. Too bad I am a perfectionist, so I'll have to keep working on them.

My wife has said that I should finish the projects I have in work before starting any new ones, and I have lots of projects I want to build. I think if I stopped collecting plans today, I would already have enough projects I want to build until I am at least 75.

My excuse is that I am gone 60% of the month at work, and when I am home, I try to put my kids and wife before my woodworking. My shop time is usually after the kids are in bed, until the early morning hours.

Another excuse is that I cannot simultaneously put finish on a project and work on another one. Can't use Waterlox in the house...my son has asthma. When I finish a big project, I put an old blanket on top of my tablesaw and then can't use the tablesaw until it is dry.

I also need to build a workbench, and a new stand for my compound miter saw. It was on an old particle board TV stand, which collapsed about 2 months ago.

I envy those of you that are home every night. There is nothing like sleeping in your own bed, and being able to work in your shop a little each night.

Hey Gail, I looked at your website. I loved the chair you made at American Sycamore, but did not see it on the 2005 schedule (not that I could make it this year, but perhaps in the future). Do you have a link to your instructor's website?

Almost forgot, welcome aboard. Be sure to post lots of pics.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Nothing leaves my shop without being totally finished! When it leaves I don't want it back!
    Michael and Sally Pfau
    Grant Creek Woodworks
    Missoula Montana
    www.grantcreekwoodworks.com

The only projects currently on the boards are an interior Arts and Crafts style door, with an antique stained glass center panel, and I'm trying to come up with a really nice, portable Hunter/Jumper, Dressage tack box design for events and shows. I'm thinking of a scaled down, two door Armoire, curved front, with a fold out mirror.

PS I think I just got the meaning of "America's Hometown". Very cool.

Currently I have 2 unfinished projects....1 is my son's gun cabinet that is all assembled, but he wanted to do the finishing himself. Since I got it built and ready for him to finish, he got an apprenticeship as an electrician so I guess I might as well finish it myself.
    The second is a router table (Norm's design) which is all done except the formica top...which I suspect will be getting done soon.

Two projects:

A table saw workstation to get some much needed TS storage and dust collection for my contractor saw (still without a motor).

A glass storage unit to hold Bullseye and Moretti rods as well as Bullseye fusing glass. My wife designs in wire and glass. One unit for her and one for me keeps things harmonious

Jeff

My shop ..........

is my biggest unfinished project, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18468 been working on it for a year and a half. Shop cab's, shelves, router table, work bench, tool stands are among the list of ongoing unfinished projects. Work bench in pic is complete, another bench and some Cabinets have been added since pic's were taken.

What can I do in two hours ?? Not very much at all. Woodworking is a hobby, not my means of making a living, so the little time I get in the shop I work at my own pace, do what I want, stare a lot, enjoy and savor every moment. I'm an engineer by trade, so much of my WW is massive, over designed and overbuilt. It's an issue I'm trying to get over.
    Last edited by Tony Falotico; 06-23-2005 at 9:55 PM. Reason: added info
    Tony

My shop cabinets. Needs doors on one cab and drawers on the other. 2 hours will get a good start but not finish it. Not for me anyway Waiting on the new electrical and the TS will then be able to be used!

Corey

Gail, it's not fair for a newbie to ask such an embarrassing question. All the following are things that I have actually started:

1. Cabinets to go beside my recently finished Murphy bed (about 20 hours work remaining)

2. A toy box for my grandson (about 6 hours work remaining)

3. A toboggan for my grandson (about 4 hours work remaining)

4. A steamer trunk for my honourary niece (about 24 hours work remaining)

5. Refinish two Muskoka chairs (about 8 hours work remaining)

6. Assemble an finish a stool to go with one of the Muskoka chairs (about 3 hours work remaining)

7. Replace the finish and the hardware on 6 cabinets for our sewing/guest room (about 16 hours work remaining)

8. Bookcase with sliding doors for a friend (being built with that friend) (about 20 hours work remaining)

9. Another rolling cabinet for the shop (about 6 hours work remaining)
    The list of projects that I have more or less promised but not started is longer. Yet another long list would be the construction/maintenance projects outside the shop that I have both underway and in the queue.

Gee.....thanks Gail! I now have to own up to the fact that my new shop was started a year ago and it's still not finished. I'm mudding and taping the ceiling right now. This is the part that I can find many and any excuses to not work on it......Did I mention I hate finishing drywall?.......I've got a lot of plans for jigs etc when the shop is finished but........soon.....later this year.....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Gail,
    I try not to spent too many hours on another clients project until the previous clients project is completed. That is not to say that I will not work on jobs in parallel, but I try to work in series as much as possible out of fairness to my clients. I tell all my clients that I will work in series as the jobs are booked, that way the timing for delivery is more controllable.

Gail, it's not in the shop, but there is this vanity......

I'm working on an ordered white triple shelf, then I'm starting on an order for a place mat cabinet for a lady that collects them.

Hmmmm...what I haven't finished is usually related to the things that I've forgotten about or stashed. But here's the main ones

1. Four Treasure chests....need 12 hours
    2. Butcher block table...needs 20 hours
    3. Pile of turned bowls...still drying...Can't guess the time left
    4. blanket chest....8 hours
    5. 4 Pen boxes ...2 hours left

Not as much as I thought...must have forgotten the rest
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    ...Did I mention I hate finishing drywall?...
    Hey Ken, you don't get any sympathy from me. I advised you to use plywood rather than drywall.