Thread: Non Stealth Packaging from Lee Valley

Non Stealth Packaging from Lee Valley

Anyone want to guess what I ordered from Lee Valley?
    box.JPG

Box with contents.jpg

Yes, that was the packaging for three router bits. To be fair this was an afterthought order after I sent in my main order during free shipping. So I am guessing they ran out of appropriately sized boxes at the end of Free Shipping.

Luckily, I wasn't trying to sneak the order in to the house.

John

I really don't know why, but this reminds me of a time when the brown santa was trying to be stealthy with a package delivery:
    ~Garth

I ordered 4 tomato cages from Amazon. Each came in a box large enough to hold all 4. The free shipping had to cost twice what I paid for the product. Go figure.

I've been in the packaging business (materials and machines) for 25 years. It is amazing how often this happens. At some point I did a huge study for Amazon.com and the amount of orders that went out the door with the packaging cost more than the price of the item was staggering.

Well I order a 500' spool of 1/8 wire from amazon other day with free shipping. Before updated the shipping part had $379 listed for shipping on $48 order. In description stated wire weight was 13 pounds but down lower in listing had weight at 500 pounds.

Lol....when I was a kid my sister was terrible about trying to figure out what she was getting for Christmas. She would shake the packages, measure them, try to figure out what she had asked for that was that size. And she was good at at, always ruined the surprise. So one year I found a big box, duck taped some bricks to the bottom, filled it with news paper, and placed her music CD ( which was brand new technology at the time, iir she was also getting a CD player from my parents). Oh, she looked and shook and measured...what had I gotten her that was Sooo heavy and came in such a large box. Boy her face was priceless when she opened that box! Always fun to combine April fools day with Christmas, maybe lee valley is working on the same philosophy?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Lol....when I was a kid my sister was terrible about trying to figure out what she was getting for Christmas. She would shake the packages, measure them, try to figure out what she had asked for that was that size. And she was good at at, always ruined the surprise. So one year I found a big box, duck taped some bricks to the bottom, filled it with news paper, and placed her music CD ( which was brand new technology at the time, iir she was also getting a CD player from my parents). Oh, she looked and shook and measured...what had I gotten her that was Sooo heavy and came in such a large box. Boy her face was priceless when she opened that box! Always fun to combine April fools day with Christmas, maybe lee valley is working on the same philosophy?
    My sister was the same way. My Dad would do as you did. She never had a chance.

As much as I order from Amazon, my Prime memberships pays for itself x^10 over the course of the year.
    -Lud

Another Stealth Packaging Job

Here are pictures of the two boxes that I found on my porch (52" x 9" x 24.75" each) containing my order from Amazon a few years ago. Each box had one 40" Bessey K-Body clamp and a loads of kraft paper that was woefully inadequate. 'Tis a miracle that the boxes were still intact!
    100_4762.jpg100_4764.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Payne View Post
    Here are pictures of the two boxes that I found on my porch (52" x 9" x 24.75" each) containing my order from Amazon a few years ago. Each box had one 40" Bessey K-Body clamp and a loads of kraft paper that was woefully inadequate. 'Tis a miracle that the boxes were still intact!
    100_4762.jpg100_4764.jpg
    My 60's came duct taped together, with a shipping label attached. But my 40's came one to the box, for a total of ten boxes. One box would have held all ten of them.