Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LED Base

I've done a prototype 30 cm wide out of balsa wood for 4 mm plexiglas. It was about $8 mostly spent on the balsa. I think I could easily do that at $5 out of fir or pine or whatever's cheap enough and looks good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei Georgescu View Post
    I've done a prototype 30 cm wide out of balsa wood for 4 mm plexiglas. It was about $8 mostly spent on the balsa. I think I could easily do that at $5 out of fir or pine or whatever's cheap enough and looks good enough.
    No pictures it didn't happen lets see what you made.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I have only one which is of the base plugged in with the scratched plexiglas scrap I used for the test.
    I'll get it this evening and post some pictures. I might get a contract for a 6 meter long one a few days from now and if I do I'll post some pictures of that one.
    20140507_145309.jpg

I finally got around to building my first prototype, and it turned out awesome...

13973413940_62a09fc2da_m.jpg14156708621_39ceb421e5_m.jpg14160060995_06d343e221_m.jpg

Jim,

Good to see you pop up here.. Everyone seems to be interested in your bases... Me included, let us know when you're back on track.

Just FYI on my "find"... I finally got around to upgrading my laser and catching up on my past-due jobs, so went and cut some 1/8" plex for this cheap base... Imagine my disappointment when by 1/8" stock would not fit in the base? Should have put a mic on the piece first to measure what thickness the manufacturer uses. Finally got my sheet stock to fit by filing and scraping the base.

Overall it's my opinion that they are not even worth this cheap price.. Maybe you can pull the guts and build them into something else, but otherwise don't waste your money.

Oh well!
    Bruce Clumpner
    Brandon Services Laser Engraving
    Academy Commemoratives - Personalized Memorabilia for the U.S. Service Academies
    Irvine, CA
    -
    Epilog 75-watt Helix, 40-watt 18-Mini
    Started with Corel Draw V1 now feeling the pain of CorelDraw x7
    CS4 photoshop
    CS4 illustrator
    PhotoGrav

Link did not work for me? Just went to the home page.

Clark, PM me please.