Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easter Cup #2 (Lily)

Easter Cup #2 (Lily)

Easter is like Christmas in a lot of ways. Both carry enormous religious significance. And both have to do with the bringing of light into the darkness. Unfortunately, both have also been heavily commercialized and encumbered with Disneyesque overtones that are intended to inspire people to spend money. These two days are also alike in that they are much more enjoyable when there are little children around. Easter is a day for parades and Easter egg hunts, Easter dresses and bonnets. bright colors and other things that always bring delight into the eyes of children.

Easter is also a day for flowers. Especially lilies. There's nothing that says "Easter" like a lily. That was the "inspiration" for this year's Easter cup. I have to acknowledge that my work pales in comparison to Mother Nature's. So I'll still be buying my wife some real lilies. But this one might last a bit longer and remind us in some small way of the joy and beauty of nature.

I have a bad habit of starting things two days before I need to get them done. Then I have to rush the work to finish it on time. This time I got a good jump on it. Only three tries this time! The first one looked more like an exploded big toe than a lily. The second one was going pretty good until I forgot about that little tail sticking out the side and got the tool rest a bit too close. That produced some very interestingly shaped shards to add to my ever growing collection.

I should note that out of all the lilies I looked at before attempting this, not one had perfectly even curves or perfectly smooth transitions from one element to another. So I tried to emulate this imperfect quality while still maintaing a "true" form. As with most of the things I make, by the time I had finished this I had completely lost sight of it. So any comments and/or critiques are most welcome.

lily_1.jpg
    David DeCristoforo

What comment can there be beyond "WOW!!!"
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Extraordinary David. Just beautiful.

lovely & graceful.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

great subject matter, like the wing......

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Lux View Post
    What comment can there be beyond "WOW!!!"
    My first response was DARN!
    but WOW is better!
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 04-08-2014 at 1:51 PM. Reason: Removed profanity
    Carpe Lignum

Seems like a hard conflict between the stem and the flower. All your effort and comments about the "true" and the imperfection of the bloom, stuck on top of a stick. I would have enjoyed a gentle curve in the stick.

Well I love it and a WOW from me too! Would like to see a pic of the inside.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

That is really impressive, but I would also like to see the exploded big toe version.

Nice job! One of a kind.

Matthew 6.28-29 " ... Consider the lilies of the field , how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these." Yep , I think you got it David !

vs 33; But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness: and all these things shall be added unto you . "
    John 3:16

Say more about how you turned this, it is beautiful.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Engle View Post
    Matthew 6.28-29 " ... Consider the lilies of the field..."
    Might as well bring in Pete Seeger and Ecclesiastes: To everything (turn turn turn) there is a season (turn turn turn)...

:-)
    Last edited by Doug Ladendorf; 04-07-2014 at 7:11 PM.

David, I like the bloom, I'm curious about how you did it, including the paint specks at the bottom, I wish for more photos from different angles, and the transition from stem to cup seemed wrong, as Richard mentioned. I started looking at images like this: http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/i/20...38-d3esxqf.jpg. I think if you had tried to replicate the transition Nature came up with it wouldn't look that great either. Plus, in nature the bloom shoots off at an angle and that just wouldn't have worked.

I am awed, as always by your work. Thanks for posting.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

David, as always a beautiful piece, though I do have to agree with Doug's comments.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).