Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: air screwdriver?

air screwdriver?

I need something that will drive wood screws well, and corded drill doesn't do the job well... it basically turns too fast and strips screws and gives very little control.

I am looking at cordless drills but in addition to being expensive, some of them don't have the force needed... its surprising how much force it takes to drive wood screws even if you pre drill them...

So I am wondering about air screwdrivers, are they worth it? I have a fairly large compressor so I don't think air consumption is a problem (not to mention they are intermittent use tools so even if its undersized it can catch up). I tried a smaller air screwdriver at a hardware store and it struggles to drive wood screws... whereas even a cheap electric one does a much better job (but it ran off of a tiny compressor). I have no real need for being on a job site, just shop use.

Problem is I have no way of getting square/torx screws in Taiwan. They only have phillips or flathead wood screws. I'll check the screw shops though (they have shops in Taiwan that sells nothing but screws)

Get a cordless impact driver. We drive 12 inch Timber Loks with no problem and no pre-drilling. Milwaukee and Makita make special bits for impact drivers. Also Consider Sq., Drive and torx type screws. We used to use the airpower Screwdrivers in the factories but I wouldn't waste my money on one. Impact drivers weren't available in those days.

Always say where you are as most answers tend be directed to people in the US or Europe. Ironic as most screws in the US come from China or Taiwan.

Impact driver for sure.

I guess I'll go look for a cheap impact driver... I don't drive screws that much (I primarily make/repair guitars) but recently I have been making furniture for a guy which does need screws (you can't glue tabletops to the base after all). I normally screw it by hand but it gets very tiring even for a few screws. I use those black hardened screw (it looks like drywall screws) that doesn't strip. It's so hard that the screw bit strips before the screw does. However I did manage to find a few sellers with torx head wood screws (after all most square and torx screws are machine screws) but they cost significantly more than philip head screws.

Certainly a variable speed drill/driver will do the job with or without a cord.

Impact drivers are my screw driver of choice these days but you do want one that has multiple settings for the amount of torque. My Panasonic had 5 or 6 settings and the Milwaukee I'm now using has 3. I don't know if there is a good "cheap impact driver".

And for air driven drill same consideration - if it isn't variable speed it won't be useful as a screw driver.
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 04-04-2014 at 3:50 PM.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Thread lube works great. (a little wax on the screw threads) Also a wood brace is great for driving screws I use one all the time better control then impact drivers for small jobs. Tom

I'm not looking to spend a bunch of money since I don't drive screws that often but I used to have a cheap B&D cordless drill that did the job. However these days B&D stuff have gone up in price and they're still made in China. I'm seeing off brand cordless drills for a really good price at a hardware store but I am not sure if they are any good. I just need it to work.

If you are driving phillips head screws in quantity, an impact driver will be the only way to go. The impact action helps to transfer the power into turning the screw without requiring a huge push in to keep the bit from coming out of the screw.

Even a small 10.8v/12vMax driver will be all that is required for furniture sized screws. They will even drive 1/4" (6mm) construction screws although something bigger is nicer for that size. I have a bunch of different impacts in various sizes for different jobs. This is the one I would normally use for the work you are discussing: http://www.boschtools.com/Products/T...px?pid=PS41-2A

I'm only giving that to you as a reference as there will be different tools available in your local market.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 04-04-2014 at 4:41 PM. Reason: typo

I use an 18v Dewalt set, that has multiple batteries and tools. It has not given me any trouble.
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

A few years ago I was in a fab shop and we went through countless cordless tools. Boss was getting sick of buying cordless tools all the time. One of our local vendors decided to bring in all the tool rep's for us; Milwaukee, Makita, Dewalt, Bosch....... All of these guys had the same recommendation, first was to use a drill for drilling only, as that is what the motor is designed for, plus most drills do not stop spinning when you let off the trigger, hence stripped heads and broken fasteners. Second was to use the impact driver on all fasteners, because that is exactly what they are designed for. As others have mentioned, wax on the fasteners will help.
    Once I started using my impact for driving fasteners and the drill for turning drill bits I could definitely see what they were talking about!

Perhaps if the brand or type is not available locally you might consider importing a driver. Depending on what mains voltage Taiwan has as to where you import it from of course. This is a very common practise in Australia as our tool range is very expensive and some tools are just not available. A drill with a clutch is perfectly able to drive screws and they all have a slow speed which has more torque. I just looked it up and you have 110V so import from the US where tools are cheap.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tai Fu View Post
    I'm not looking to spend a bunch of money since I don't drive screws that often but I used to have a cheap B&D cordless drill that did the job. However these days B&D stuff have gone up in price and they're still made in China. I'm seeing off brand cordless drills for a really good price at a hardware store but I am not sure if they are any good. I just need it to work.
    Your lowest cost way will be to drill pilot holes for your screws and lube the threads with beeswax. With a pilot hole and beeswax lube your screws will require about 1/3 the torque you currently need to drive the screws. I've driven over 1,000 screws, mostly philips head type with my 14 volt Dewalt drill in the low speed range without a problem.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Good point Lee, I have never used more than a 12V drill/driver as the new brushless motors are very powerful and are helped by new battery technology. Hardwood will always require drilling to prevent fastener breakage.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening