Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Us Your Hand Tool Organizers

Blog Entries
    Mines a bit haphazard and due for either an upgrade or for me to build a cabinet.

Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Judging by the picture George, it looks like you punched above your weight. ;-)

Small shop- compact storage

My shop is approximately 10'x10' with a vintage 6' cabinetmakers bench plus a 5' HF bench for sharpening and temporary placement of tools that I am working with to keep the clutter down on my work surface.. Not much room for storage. I tried to condense as much as possible into one area that is easy to reach from both benches.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The plans are not complex. Its poplar "2x4s" forming the base for stability and caster attachment. It's a quicky baltic birch plywood carcase. And simply poplar drawers with ply bottoms in grooves and scrap cherry fronts. The drawers are quicky dovetails and ride on accuride side bearing slides. That's about it.

Don't have all that much to organize, but i do have a box to store things not in use on the benchIMAG0016.jpgwhat one sees when the lid is openIMAG0009.jpgremove the top three traysIMAG0008.jpginstall the sliderIMAG0006.jpginstall the tote tray. I don't really have a lot of room down in the Dungeon Shop, so the box tended to be a bit smallIMAG0002.jpgbut it is about the right height that I can sit down and saw some dovetailsIMAG0013.jpgThis is it for the room I have to work in.....

Hi Sean

Those a beautiful cabinets and boxes. You have clearly put a lot of thought into them, and I can imagine how much time it took!

There is a drawknife in the picture below I'd like you to tell me about - the small one (perhaps 4" or 6" blade) with the rounded handles, a carvers drawknife.

I have just purchased one like this on eBay, a 6" Jennings, so my curiosity is piqued.

With regard to my own humble shop fittings, they are also items I have built over the past 5 years (new shop), as the need arose and there was time. It's just cheap pine tarted up with Jarrah trimmings.

There are marking tools hanging on the wall behind the bench ...

There are also tool trays attached to the wall behind the bench (rather than attached to the bench, which stands free) ...

To the left are cabinets for spokeshaves, ploughs, braces, rasps ...

Nothing is ever this tidy!

And a bench dog to keep an eye on all ...

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 04-04-2014 at 8:56 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bohn View Post
    My shop is approximately 10'x10' with a vintage 6' cabinetmakers bench plus a 5' HF bench for sharpening and temporary placement of tools that I am working with to keep the clutter down on my work surface.. Not much room for storage. I tried to condense as much as possible into one area that is easy to reach from both benches.
    I like this a lot, very nicely done and quite simple.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Sean and Derek,your shops are so much more beautiful than mine. I wish I could make mine nicer,but just haven't the space,or the energy at this point.

I have just too many interests,with a complete machine shop(for metal working),and a woodworking shop,and blacksmithing area all crammed into one.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Sean and Derek,your shops are so much more beautiful than mine. I wish I could make mine nicer,but just haven't the space,or the energy at this point.

I have just too many interests,with a complete machine shop(for metal working),and a woodworking shop,and blacksmithing area all crammed into one.
    Tell you what George, I'll trade my tools for your skills. Deal?

Regards from perth

Derek

The little drawknife has a four inch blade. I'm blanking on the maker right now, but I can check tonight. I do a good bit of craving, shaping and so forth in my projects, so I'm always anxious to try more shave type tools. This one is very useful at times, but my vintage 8" Swan gets 95% of the use (better than the LN and Barr to my hands). I find I get too many tools not because I want to collect, but more because I'm curious to compare and owning seems the only way. You don't know till you hold it and use it.

Ray, looks very neat. I'm curious - what angle do you have the planes at? I can see in the picture that it angles diagonally across the width of a board, but from the picture it's hard to tell how much that is - is that a 4" board? I'm thinking of organization for some planes, and like the idea of a simple open till like yours. Been wondering about the angle, though.

Also - anything else hold the planes in? Do you have a lip at the bottom?

This first photograph shows why better storage is needed for the hand tools:

1.jpg

The garage houses quite a few shelves for power tools and such as you can see here:

2.jpg 3.jpg

The garage would provide far more space if it wasn't for the 50 year-old interloper taking space. It can be moved out on a nice day.

4.jpg 5.jpg

The current bench leaves everything to be desired. The goal is to get hand tools regularly used above that bench and get rid of many of the items on that wall. Of course when the new front door gets installed it will open a lot of wall space by the drill press. Your ideas are greatly appreciated.

Mine took a while to build but it still puts a smile on my face every time I walk into my shop...

IMG_5358.jpg

IMG_5365.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_5362.jpg

This corner of my shop is dedicated to hand tools.
    Except for the LV sharpener in the corner

My small hand tool organization system

Wow! A lot of impressive tool storage systems and ideas for upgrades to my humble system which is shown below.

The racks on the right and upper center slide on 5/8" white wood rails so I can readjust them if needed.

Overall shot of my bench and various racks
    01 overall.jpg

Layout stuff
    03 measuring and marking.jpg
    The 12" and 6" rules in front are held in place with small super magnet and have a finger slot to make picking up easier.
    The fractional dial caliper in back sits in a carved slot and is also held in place with a super magnet.

More layout stuff
    04 measuring and marking.jpg

Plane till
    06 plane till.jpg
    The plane till consist of white wood shelves with canary wood dividers sized for each plane (there is a small wedge at the toe of each one
    to keep the irons from touching). Further additions will require revisions!

Saw till
    08 saw till.jpg
    Left to right: xcut- hybrid - rip, lots of room for more!

Dave P

As they say in Texas, all y'all have way too many tools. Gary Z. Your storage is nicer than my kitchen, I think you need another dovetail saw.

/p