Thread: Nova 1624 handwheel

Nova 1624 handwheel

The 1624 does not come with a handwheel which is kinda silly I guess but they do sell one as an option. One of the comments at Amazon about this says you can add customized wooden outer for extra comfort and personalization. Has anyone done this and if so any pics you care to share? Thanks, John...

Blog Entries
    John, Eddie Castelin did a you tube video on making a wooden handwheel. Check it out on you tube search eddie castelin or making shavings then look for the handwheel video. HTh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

I had planned to do exactly what you're wanting to do. Someone said it was kinda tight between the handwheel and the motor. It is. There's room enough for a small increase in size but anything like I was envisioning would have me scrunching my hand between the wheel and motor way too often. I just use it as is.

It definitely is needed and should be standard. I'm not sure how you'd get a chuck off without it.

I have no problem getting chucks off without the handwheel. You just press that spindle lock button and twist the chuck with the other hand, or T-handle. Better yet, get one of those sliding parts that Powermatic sells (and paint it white ) and put it on to help lock the button.

I'm used to the smaller diameter.... thing. It's not a handwheel, but it's enough to do most of what I need.

If you come up with something better than what's on there, let us know.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

1624 doesn't have a spindle lock button that I've found. It does have an indexing lock but I understand it shouldn't be used for applications like removing chucks.

The indexing pin IS the Nova's spindle lock. I have used mine for exactly that purpose since I bought mine in 2009 and it works perfectly and I have had no problems. Well except for forgetting that the pin is engaged and turning the lathe on! Boy does that make an unpleasant noise!

On a related note, my new VicMarc VL300 lathe has the same type of situation, where the index pin is also the spindle lock. (it makes a worse noise when you forget to unlock before starting the lathe )
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Page View Post
    1624 doesn't have a spindle lock button that I've found. It does have an indexing lock but I understand it shouldn't be used for applications like removing chucks.
    I had heard the same thing. I turned a knob for the end of the knockout bar and drop the bar through the handwheel to lock the spindle, if necessary, for chuck removal.

As far as the OP question, I have not added additional because it would only be about an inch larger in diameter. It would dress up the lathe though and be easy to turn an overlay since it is already predrilled for four screws. It would be more comfortable to use one an inch or so thick since the current steel in only 1/4-3/8".. I may have talked myself into it.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe