Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best source for clear cast acrylic?

Just wanted to post and update to this. So far in my search Calsak Plastics has the best prices. They do have a $25 per order cut fee, but offered to wave that if I purchase 5 or more full sheets... or once I establish my self as a repeat customer. Even with the fee, they are several dollars cheaper per 12x24 sheet across the board. And compared to where I was buying before, nearly half the price

Thanks to everyone that offered up sources.
    Keith Upton
    Aerodrome Accessories
    Epilog Mini 24 - 60w

I buy one sheet at a time with no cut charge. However, I am a regular customer of the Atlanta branch. Probably a local branch policy your running into.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Upton View Post
    Just wanted to post and update to this. So far in my search Calsak Plastics has the best prices. They do have a $25 per order cut fee, but offered to wave that if I purchase 5 or more full sheets... or once I establish my self as a repeat customer. Even with the fee, they are several dollars cheaper per 12x24 sheet across the board. And compared to where I was buying before, nearly half the price

Thanks to everyone that offered up sources.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

I use eStreet plastics for 1/8" cast because of their fast delivery. I use Delvies for 1/16" cast (eStreet only carries extruded in 1.5mm).
    Epilog 40W Mini24, Corel X8 (64-bit), and two big fire extinguishers.

Update on sources of PMMA:

I went around to three glazing places, and found all three very welcoming when I explained that I was a woodworker who could use some scraps. Two places pointed me at the scrap bin.

The third said he had just sent his scrap off to the recycler/scrap dealer/junk man/garbage collector the previous day, and then offered to CREATE some "scrap" for me...

Since I had what I needed at the moment, I thanked him profusely and said I'd be back. He insisted on getting my name and phone number and details on what I was looking for, and promised to call me next week, when he'd be doing a job with PMMA...

I hate to say it, but why spend money?????

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Oleen View Post
    Update on sources of PMMA:

I went around to three glazing places, and found all three very welcoming when I explained that I was a woodworker who could use some scraps. Two places pointed me at the scrap bin.

The third said he had just sent his scrap off to the recycler/scrap dealer/junk man/garbage collector the previous day, and then offered to CREATE some "scrap" for me...

Since I had what I needed at the moment, I thanked him profusely and said I'd be back. He insisted on getting my name and phone number and details on what I was looking for, and promised to call me next week, when he'd be doing a job with PMMA...

I hate to say it, but why spend money?????
    Sorry, but what is PMMA?
    Keith Upton
    Aerodrome Accessories
    Epilog Mini 24 - 60w

P(oly) M(ethyl) M(eth)A(crylate) is acrylic.
    Guy Hilliard

Sawdust and Noise

Trotec Speedy 400 w 80W, rotary attachment, vacuum table, cutting table, lamella bars

AXYZ 4008 w 7 position ATC, Servos, Vacuum, pins, laser digitizer

CorelDRAW X6,
    Rhino 5,
    Aspire

Thanks. We need an acronym modification on this site. lol
    Keith Upton
    Aerodrome Accessories
    Epilog Mini 24 - 60w

Sorry for the jargon. PMMA is the short-hand for Poly Methyl MethAcrylate, which is the generic (chemical) name for Lucite, Plexiglas, and Acrylite. The same stuff is called Perspex in England.

Of course, nobody really calls it that in the glaziers shops.

This is opposed to polycarbonate, which goes under the trade names Lexan, Makrolon, and Macroclear, as well as several others. PC is actually a group of compounds all with very similar characteristics.