Thread: Free Shipping almost up and I'm still dithering

Free Shipping almost up and I'm still dithering

Last day for free shipping and I'm still dithering. I do need a jointer. However, I've not used the BUJ from Lee Valley and so am not sure whether to take the plunge or not.

For those of you who have multiple jointers, including the BUJ, which one do you find yourself picking up the most? I know it is mostly a preference thing, how they fit your and, and so forth, so I'm not sure if I'll get any useful info from asking opinion type questions. However, it can't hurt.

I seem to have no preference for bevel up vs. bevel down. I use them both and find myself grabbing one or the other mostly based on width and setup rather than any other criteria The BU jack is wider than my #5s and is easier to adjust to take thicker shavings for me. My #5s tend to be set for a thinner or thicker shave and I tend to leave them that way. I find them both great to use.

Jeff.

I have the BUJ and I use to have a Stanley No. 7. I definitely like the BUJ better. I found it easier and less fatiguing to use. I also like being able to swap blades between the BU Jointer and my other LV BU planes. For example I have cambered irons in my BU jack and jointer but I have a thrid iron that's ground square for when I use the jack for shooting and the jointer with a fence for edge jointing.