Thread: My 2014 Shop Remodel

My 2014 Shop Remodel

It has been 4 years since I designed and set up my shop. Initially I set it up with 2 ideas in mind: my wheelchair accessibility, and my power tools

Well, now that I have worked out there all this time, I have changed my way of thinking about shop design. While the accessibility part remains the same, I no longer focus solely on power tools because I have come to work so much with hand tools alone. Not to mention that, in those 4 years, I have accumulated more than just a few new tools

So, since I have several larger projects to build this year, I decided it was time for a remodel.

This is the new layout I decided on. I have plenty of room to move around in my chair and I really like the idea of having my bench right in the center of everything instead of up against a wall.
    As you can tell by the dog-eared edges and coffee stains, I agonized over the design for quite a long time, swapping this here and that there. This is actually the 6th completely different layout that I designed. I would create one, then think about it for a few days to see what I liked and didn't like about it. Then I would start moving things again. Small changes were labeled with a letter, such as 3b, to indicate there was a small change. This is #6. I've thought about it now for a couple of weeks without really coming up with any major negatives. So I've started the remodel.

Shop Layout Draft #6a.jpg

The first change is this: It is my new plywood rack for the shop. My nephew Nick helped me build it and my brother was just here and helped get it into place so that I could install the hinges. It's based on the one that Marc Spagnuolo built for his own shop.

Plywood Rack 1.jpg

Full 4X8 sheets in the back, half sheets on the front left and 2 slots for cutoffs.

Plywood Rack 2.jpg

A pair of 5" wheels on this end so I can roll it out to get at the sheet stock. Then I just roll back against the shelving unit and out of the way so my wife can get her car inside.

Plywood Rack 3.jpg

The original design was all made using single thickness 3/4" plywood. I chose to double up the plywood on the back, bottom and rear end for 2 reasons. One is that 2 sheets of plywood laminated together is way stronger than a single layer. And two is that the plywood I could get at the home center was so warped that it would have been unusable if I hadn't laminated the sheets together with the concave sides facing each other. Lots of glue and screws later and they turned out dead flat and ready to be assembled.

Plywood Rack 4.jpg

Three ball bearing hinges attached with 2 1/2" #12 screws should be enough to hold up this end don't you think?

Plywood Rack 5.jpg

I'll keep posting photos as the changes happen.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

I have added a separate thread to discuss the new bench I'll be building along the wall behind my primary workbench. I'd love any feedback or insight any of you may have...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...nch-Top-Choice

Stew Hagerty

I was fortunate to have my sister, brother-in-law, neighbor, and three guys from the local woodworkers club all come over on a Saturday to help me move my wood & my tools and build my new lumber rack.

Here are a few photos of my progress:

ForumRunner_20140419_111715.jpg

ForumRunner_20140419_111736.jpg

ForumRunner_20140419_111758.jpg

ForumRunner_20140419_111837.jpg

ForumRunner_20140419_111909.jpg

ForumRunner_20140419_111936.jpg
    Last edited by Stew Hagerty; 04-19-2014 at 11:29 AM.

Stew Hagerty

Stew Hagerty

I was fortunate to have my sister, brother-in-law, neighbor, and three guys from the local woodworkers club all come over on a Saturday to help me move my wood & my tools and build my new lumber rack.

Stew Hagerty

All that stuff, and you are gonna get a car in too? This I gotta see .

Looks like it is really moving along, Stew. Call me confused, but I don't quite understand how that quilted structure fits in.

Rick P

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    All that stuff, and you are gonna get a car in too? This I gotta see .

Looks like it is really moving along, Stew. Call me confused, but I don't quite understand how that quilted structure fits in.

Rick P
    Maybe this will help Rick:

Putting Up The Plywood.jpg

That "Quilted Structure" is my typically overbuilt way of turning unusable space against the garage door into my new lumber rack. By replacing my old rack with this new "built-in" design, I am gaining an extra 42 square feet of floor space. For a guy that needs lots of extra floor space just to get around because of my wheelchair, 42sf is a huge gain. Plus Instead of 32sf of lumber storage, I now have 84sf. That means I don't have to unload everything because the board that I need is at the bottom back of the top shelf. I now have my lumber sorted by species and spread out enough that I can easily access any board that I may want. Not to mention that I have room for a lot more lumber when I'm working on a larger project.

As for the car...

Shop - 01 Exterior 800X.jpg028 After 9pm and Still Working.jpg My shop occupies approximately half of my over sized 3-car garage. My wife still has room to pull in her car. Well, did have. And once I get done with the remodel she will again. Right now I've got stuff spread all over.

Stew Hagerty

The light bulb came on Stew. Thanks,

Rick P

The light bulb came on Stew. Thanks,

Rick P
    I was trying to span 12' with no "connections" except at each end yet and still have it be rock solid. Each of the intermediate posts is a 1x6 resting on the concrete, each of the cross beams is a double 2x6 wrapping around each of the posts via dadoes, and each of the end posts is a triple 2x6 bolted around and through the beams and attached to plywood that spans 2 wall studs. Then I sheathed the thing in 1/2" plywood.

Like I said, I tend to overbuild. But, I got what I wanted, a rock solid wall to use for lumber storage. Plus, I have about 16" of space between the back of the wall and the door so I put pegboard on the back side to hang and store some typical garage stuff.

Stew Hagerty

OK... I'm almost done (if you can ever truly say that about a workshop)

In fact I hosted an Open Shop for my local woodworkers club on Saturday. Oh, I still have a few things to do, such as build the bench extension on my chop saw station which will have drawers to store much of the things I still have in boxes. But my tools, stock, and equipment are pretty much where they go. I was so busy last week getting it to this point that I'm now taking a couple of days off to recuperate.

So, here are the latest photos. As you can see I now have lots of room to maneuver with my wheelchair, and my bench is now centrally located and surrounded by everything I need to work.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.Open Shop 01 800.jpgOpen Shop 02 800.jpgOpen Shop 03 800.jpgOpen Shop 04 800.jpgOpen Shop 05 800.jpg

Stew Hagerty

Stew Hagerty

You managed to get a lot of stuff in a little space, that's for sure. Good job.

I really like the handles on the table saw. Where did they come from?

Rick Potter

You managed to get a lot of stuff in a little space, that's for sure. Good job.

I really like the handles on the table saw. Where did they come from?

Rick Potter
    I assume that you mean the hand cranks. I just couldn't stand the original cranks. They weren't round, but just a single lever, and pretty small so that they required quite a bit of effort to turn.

So I looked around and found them at Grizzly. I got the H3190 handwheels with the H3205 handles. They attached very easily and work really well, a huge improvement.

Here is the page: http://www.grizzly.com/products/Cast...wheel-8-/H3190

Stew Hagerty