Thread: Replacing mirrors in Epilog 36EXT... best way to epoxy?

Replacing mirrors in Epilog 36EXT... best way to epoxy?

Hello!

New to laser engraving and haven't really figured everything out yet but just got my tube refreshed (bought used laser that was evidently "used up") and all new mirrors and lens so I can start out "new". I did some searching here and wasn't able to find an answer with much details for replacing the mirrors.

Using boiling water (did find that tidbit!), I was able to remove the mirrors from the metal frames without any trouble. However, I'm looking for some advice on how exactly to attach my new mirrors.

It looks like with my original mirrors, the mirrors were placed upside down on a surface, then the plate placed on top of the mirror, and then 4 "dabs" of epoxy were placed in each hole (see pictures). To simplify things, can I just place a dab of epoxy in the center of the plate then push the mirror onto it? The epoxy I plan on using (because I already have it) is in small packets so "injecting" it into a small hole neatly really isn't an option. Plus, it seems like it would be hard to align, using this method, without some sort of jig to hold things in place.

As you can see in the pictures, the epoxy "leaked" out from the precise hole area and got between the mirror and mounting plate so I don't see an issue with just putting a dab on the plate itself. What do you guys think who have done this before? Also, I'm just planning on using a regular ole epoxy... nothing special. Is that acceptable? Pretty sure I just need to stick the mirror on the plate but I'm no expert. LOL

Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a friend who worked in a national laboratory's laser lab many many many years ago. Higher murmur him telling me of the problems he had laser mirrors whopping when they were cemented with epoxy. He switched to silicone and the problem disappeared.

Silicone, eh? Interesting. The factory stuff from Epilog seems like a pretty hard epoxy? For the silicone are you talking just like a silicone caulking or? I use Shoe Goo to attach emblems, mouldings, etc. to cars and it works great... it actually works great on just about anything! Hmm.... Shoe Goo is like a silicone in that it doesn't dry hard as a rock... maybe I'll try that? LOL

I used some silicone sealant. Seems to stick them on there very good. Hope to give it a shot later today or tomorrow

P1000517_resize.jpg

Using Dragon Speaking Naturally

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf Randby View Post
    I have a friend who worked in a national laboratory's laser lab many many many years ago. However I member him telling me of the problems he had, laser mirrors warping when they were cemented with epoxy. He switched to silicone and the problem disappeared.
    Quote edited to show proper meaning :-)

To Self: "You should not use Dragon when it's past your bedtime!"

I got the "whopping" part but wondered about the "higher murmur"...

I didn't really understand the terminology you were using (now I know why LOL) but got the important part about how you recommended silicone instead of epoxy. Hahaha