• Lee Valley Bevel-up smoother

25 41.67%
  • Lie-Nielsen #4 bronze

35 58.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LV BU Smoother or LN #4 bronze

LV BU Smoother or LN #4 bronze

Looking to get my first smoother.

Which would you choose? The Lee Valley bevel up smoother, or the LN #4 in bronze?

Should I consider something else?

I currently only use domestic hardwood.

Of those two planes, I would personally choose the LN because I prefer No. 4 sized planes (the BUS equates to a 4 1/2), and because for most things I prefer BD bailey pattern planes...specifically I like using planes that have chip breaker/cap iron, but I also generally (though not always) like the feel of BD planes better.

Since you mentioned you really just work domestic hardwoods, I think that make a Baily pattern plane that much more appropriate.

Your going to get a lot of conflicting answers here...so much is just personal preference.

As afar as considering something else...I'm hesitant to comment becasue its just going to confuse thing but if I were going to get a BU plane as primary smoother I'd go with the LV "Low angle smoother", but again only becasue I like No. 4 sized smoothers. If you have a chance to go to an LN show I would also try the iron 4 in addition to the bronze. The iron has a nice weight to it still without being too heavy, but gives you more feedback than the bronze..just depend on what you like, you might like the more dampened slightly more solid feel of the bronze better or you might like the slightly livelier iron better, the difference is somewhat subtle but they are both worth trying if you can...though I'm sure you'd be happy with either.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 03-28-2014 at 11:41 AM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

I have vanilla and chocolate ice cream in my freezer. Which would you choose? Should I consider something else, like strawberry maybe?

I'm kidding, but trying to make a point. This survey will not really answer what YOU should choose because this a matter of personal preference.

I grew up in Syracuse, so maybe we have similar CNY sensibilities - I like my LN4. ;-)

I have a smaller #3 LN Bronze, vintage Bailey #4, and the Veritas BUS. Both are excellent quality tools and realistically are completely capable of achieving the same results, but I have found that over the last couple years, I always reach for the BUS. I just find it simple and effective and I have to fiddle with it less. I also like the lower center of gravity. I just feels a bit better in my hands. Does that make it better? No, not at all... Just better for me.

Try and find a way to handle both and see what feels better for you. There is no right or wrong answer...

I prefer a BD smoother so I'd go for the LN. If possible I'd recommend trying both planes. The grips are different on the LN and Veritas planes so you might prefer one brand over the other for that reason.

You might also want to consider the Veritas No. 4 as well. I personally like the Norris style ajustments. It's quite a bit cheaper than the LN as well.

One thing no one has brought up - the LV BUS is pretty much a 1 trick pony, the lack of a machined side means it is not capable of shooting. I know they are smoothers, but if I only have a little shooting to do and my Bailey 4 is on the bench I have used it to shoot before. And I also Acknowledge that I have not used either plane but would be happy to own either and still lust after a LV BUS.
    " (not that I'm judging...I'm all for excessive honing) " quote from Chris Griggs

I like your tag line Doug...it feed my ego-mania!
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

I sure hope the correct answer is the LV BUS because that's what I'm buying.

No brainer for me, LN #4. Only question is bronze or iron. I may be one of the few that does not like the added heft of bronze...

Blog Entries
    The best way to decide is to get both of these planes in your hands and give them a try.

If they are equals to the task, the only important consideration is which one best fits your hands.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I was planning on getting them both in my hands this weekend at a show but those plans have fallen through.

It's not an OR question. I have and like both although the LV BUS fits my hand far better. If you are new to hand planes then you will find the BU planes easier to use, hone and get going again.

Blog Entries
    Actually, you may be fickle like I am.

I have the LV BU smoother and I have a 604 Bedrock with the LV A2 iron and LV breaker. The one I pick up to use varies by the mood I'm in at the time.

I tend to use the BU smoother on face grain and the 640 on edges.

I recommend both. As Jim would tell you, You can not have too many hand planes.

OBTW, I sold a LN 4 1/2 to buy the BU smoother. I'm sure bricks will fly with that admission.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 03-28-2014 at 3:31 PM.

Newnan, Georgia (30 miles south of Atlanta)
    Think about the LV #4 with the PM blade. I've had one for over a year and it is one of my two favorite planes - the other being the LN 102. I have lots of old Stanley and Millers Falls planes. You can't go wrong with a good example of those two planes. It sounds like no matter what you buy, you'll end up with something you'll like and use.

A

I have a BUS and a no4 smoother. I use the BUS far more. But I'm not 100% sure that means a damn thing. I am beginning to use the no.4 more and more, now that I have come to understand chip-breaker placement better.
    Frankly, you can't go wrong either way, IMHO.
    Paul