Thread: Need help...The AAW Symposium Will Have....

Need help...The AAW Symposium Will Have....

A forum on woodturning for the handicapped. This will be for turners or would-be turners who are physically handicapped in some way. This includes blind people, wheelchair bound people, aged people, etc. Yes, there are blind turners. There will be a blind turner on the panel. I am on the panel because I'm a turner and I'm 93 years old. People often develop physical problems as they age. Arthritus, poor eyesight, ability to stand for any length of time, etc. I am seeking help from people who have overcome age related problems in turning. I would like to know how these problems were solved so that you were able to continue woodturning.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you for this question, Wally.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Wally, glad to see the interest and will look forward to many suggestions.

With decreasing strength as we age, provisions need to be made to handle the heavier work if it is to be maintained. I recently installed a hoist over my lathe to allow mounting the larger wood stock (over 75# or so). The days of mounting 100# stock with a reduced capacity arm is past. Hoist can also be used for positioning my bed extension on Powermatic 3520B.

I have used "chuck stand" (sits on ways on my lathe) to hold the chuck in vertical position to mount tenon or recess to the chuck using the weight of the piece sitting on the chuck to seat the wood and not try to hold a large piece to mount to chuck mounted on the drive. That also allows turning the chuck/piece to tighten multiple tightening points. Threading the chuck/piece is much easier that trying to install the piece in a mounted chuck.

Wally, I attended the forum in Tampa and found it interesting. Before I retired, I knew I wanted to get back into woodworking and started equipping a ship for flatwork. I had found SMC and hung out in both the machine and Neanderthal areas. A piece requiring a spindle got me interested in turning and this forum. It was seeing people like you, in their 80s and 90s that convinced me that this was a hobby I could stick with for many years while furniture making is for much younger (stronger) people.

Like Thomas Canfield, I have a hoist over the lathe, though I tend to turn smaller pieces. Truthfully, it was already in place when I bought the house/shop and I have yet to use it, but am glad to know its there. I recently bought prescription safety glasses and had them made to the computer prescription as the distances I need to see while turning are similar. I have a goose-neck mounted magnifying glass handy as well.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Wally I have changed all my tools and handles to D.Thompson's. I have arthritis and nerve damage in my thumb's, the shape of his handles lets me hold the tools for much longer times ( was 15minutes now 45min to an hour).My hands don't hurt after turning anything like they did, I talked to my rumatolagist and she thinks the rounded corners of the square handle moves the pressure point. A round handle your hand grips all the way around with Doug's handles the pressure is only at the rounded corners which are not directly on the thumb area. I'm only 62 but time is moving fast.Hope this helps.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.