Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lubricating table saw trunion gear teeth and worm gear ?

Blog Entries
    I use what Curt shows. Cheap and effective BUT, poor dust collection will allow any geared sawdust maker to foul. Fix your airflow to adequately remove the spoil and your problems will go away ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Ladendorf View Post
    Dri-Slide is what I use too. It's the GM spray:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000QI...&pi=SX200_QL40
    Thanks, I just went online and purchased this.

When my motor was being replaced in my PM66 I was talking to the technician about greasing the trunion gear. He said that's not where the problem is, it's the shaft that the worm gear is on that needs to be cleaned and lubricated. Mostly just cleaned where it passes through the frame of the trunnion assembly. He said sawdust builds up in there and causes it to bind.

-Alden

Ditto -- I use spray-on white lithium grease, even though everybody else says not to. Dries to a thin film that stays on the moving parts and I haven't noticed much caking on of sawdust, but then I use a good strong dust collector connected to my Unisaw. I'm sure the goopy kind of grease from a can would make a much bigger mess of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    I use white lithium grease on trunion ways. Just a thin film and wipe off as much excess as possible. Yes, in a perfect world, you would not want any grease where sawdust can accumulate but in high-friction applications like fitted ways, dry film lube just doesn't stay on the metal. At least not for me. No matter how you slice it, standard cabinet saws are going to need routine maintenance like cleaning those trunions. It's the nature of their dust collection.

best,

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

My Jet is 18 years old and never been lubed...

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Colin Mark View Post
    Recently my Sawstop contractor saw tilt mechanism started getting tighter and tighter until, finally, it would barely budge at all, even if I had both hands on the wheel and applied all my weight.

thanks !!
    I've been dealing with this for 7 years and it's a bitch. This morning the gears were clogged totally. I took a can of "Blaster" and spraying and working thew handle freed up completely.

"

I used “Never Seize” , works for a long time . Messy, wear plastic gloves . Change gloves before any surgery!

I did my Unisaw the other day. Medium grease, oil on the pivots and shafts. Took top table off & cleaned, mostly just with blower- not much to scrub.

Nice and smooth again! Don't remember the last time, 5-10 years ago?

For those considering Dri -Slide... (I am... the DeW jobsite saws have the same [chronic] problem...there are Youtube vids that present all kinds of remedies...)

Exact same stuff, same size can, same product numbers (but presented slightly differently). Save yourself a few shekels...

Dri-Slide ACDelco

Dri-Slide GM
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Eight year old thread. I like the newish Dupont chain saver lube in a spray can. No silicone. Teflon and wax in a spray can. Self cleaning.
    Bill D

https://www.walmart.com/ip/DuPont-Mo...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I use NLGI #2 grease, as recommended by my saw manufacturer, works just fine…..Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Lee, I think Lowes might carry what you want. Is this it?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_213197-39963...ube&facetInfo=

Attachment 285243
    This is what I use.

I use moly (powder?).

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I use NLGI #2 grease, as recommended by my saw manufacturer, works just fine…..Regards, Rod.
    I would think HGLI 1 0r below. Corn head and cotton picking grease are like 0 and 00 grade.
    BilLD

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Eight year old thread....Bill D
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”