Thread: I made a lampshade. No, really

I made a lampshade. No, really

I made a lampshade on purpose. Hope the attachment made it.
    Lampshade and lamp is Norfolk Pine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice Kyle, you did a fine job.

Len

Very nice--oil soaked I assume.

Lovely. Thanks for posting. Did you also make the lamp?
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

That is awesome. Been wanting to make one of those for long time myself, but haven't gotten around to procuring a large NIP blank. Beautiful!

two questions if you don't mind though:

While turning, did you spritz water on it, or do anything special to keep it moist unti you were done?

What sort of finish did you use?

Very nice. I've thought about doing this for some time too. Are you using LED light to keep the heat down?

Thanks for the nice comments.

I did make the lamp too. I'm using a regular compact fluorescent. Penetrol/poly mix for the lampshade.
    I hollowed both with a Monster rig, I did not spray water or anything else. Took a long time since Norfolk is so difficult, especially end grain which both of those are. Maybe I should have sprayed water I should try that some day.

Great job on both pieces. Beautiful warm glow to the shade. It would be a challage to turn the base thin enough to insert some LEDs the base it glows also. Chicago Woodturners just hosted Andre Martel using his hook tools to turn thin lamp shades. He could both remove huge shaving and delicate whisps with that tool. Also great information on grain orientation and forms for shades. He suggested making sure the top of the shade is the lower section and the larger opening is the higher section of the trunk. It helps even up the grain around the larger openiging. Usually the knots will give a glue to which way the tree was growing.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Great job Kyle!

What finish did you use?
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Great job, and you are where the NFIP is easy to come by. We will be looking for the next one.