Thread: Oliver 159 spindle treads

Oliver 159 spindle treads

Can someone verify the thread size on a 159 Oliver? I'm pretty sure it's 1 1/8" x 8, but second opinions will make me feel better before I hit the buy button for the chuck.

It is as you posted. Query the vendor to verify their insert or direct-threaded chuck will play nice with your old Oliver. Nice lathe choice, by the way.

BobV

Thanks Bob. I'm a complete rookie on lathes still, but the lathe sure seems to have potential beyond what I do. I'm going to get either the Oneway Talon or Stronghold, probably the Talon, and I think it will open some doors for sure. Pretty sure technology has improved on the faceplates and spurs that came with the lathe, for most things...

Any opinions on which of those chucks for this lathe?

i start most turnings between centers, have a good drive center and a good revolving center.....then make tendon, use the stronghold.....I have the #3 & #1 jaws for it, do a lot of jam chucking for cleaning the bottom.....

Steve,

Re: "...A complete rookie..." We all were at one time. You can get up on the learning curve more quickly, at less expense and with fewer skinned knuckles if you will find a mentor or a chapter of the American Association of Woodturners in your corner of the world.

I have no experience of the chucks you named, so cannot comment on those two. My Nova chucks (first generation, made in New Zealand) have served me well and I have never looked further. Nova production is now in China, so I can't speak to those either.

BobV

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Thanks Bob. I'm a complete rookie on lathes still, but the lathe sure seems to have potential beyond what I do. I'm going to get either the Oneway Talon or Stronghold, probably the Talon, and I think it will open some doors for sure. Pretty sure technology has improved on the faceplates and spurs that came with the lathe, for most things...

Any opinions on which of those chucks for this lathe?
    I turn on a 159 and I use a Talon exclusively. I think it's strong enough to hold anything you might turn on that lathe. I use the #2 jaws most the time but also have the #3 and Step Jaws. Oneway has the 1 1/8" x 8 tpi adapters available directly or you can get them through Craftsupplies.

Thanks guys.

Curt, do you think the Talon is the right chuck for the 159? Is there any reason that you can see that the Stronghold would be preferable for it? I see Oneway recommends the Stronghold for 16" swing and higher. I don't think of my lathe as a large lathe, but it's not small either, so just wanting to make sure I get the best for what I'm up too.

Most 159's are 12", I happen to have a 159a that is 14". For me, most of my turning is in the <10" range. So the Talon has been great for me. If you were going to turn a lot of bowls that are 12" or larger or try turning on the outboard side then you might want a Stronghold. My #3 jaws will grip a 3" tenon but I rarely use them. If you feel like you need more chuck there's certainly nothing wrong with using the larger Stronghold, but I've found the Talon adequate for anything I've ever turned on my Oliver.

Thanks Curt. Mine is a 159 MW, I don't know what the MW designation means though. I don't see big bowl turning in my future, so the Talon it is.