Thread: Johnny Cash's pronunciation history

Johnny Cash's pronunciation history

On the recordings I've heard of Johnny Cash, his pronunciation is very proper and I don' hear a strong southern accent. Did he always sing that way or did he have a strong accent and loose it as he did more performances?

A vaguely remembered incident from childhood motivates this question. I recall seeing a segment of the Ed Sullivan show where a country comedian's act consisted of songs that satirized various country and western singers. The act was an embarrasing failure since the urban studio audience didn't understand the material. I recall that he sang "Ring of Fire" and the punch line was apparently the pronunciation of the lines "Ring of Four! Ring of Four!". Did Johnny Cash every pronounced "fire" that way. I've never heard a recording where he did.

Blog Entries
    Listen to British singers talk and sing. Try viewing an interview with Adelle... she can be difficult to understand if you're not used to the vernacular and accent, but hearing her sing you'd swear there wasn't an accent at all. Singing uses a different part of the brain than speech, hence why people who stutter are taught to hold a monotone note when speaking.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    , hence why people who stutter are taught to hold a monotone note when speaking.
    I didn't know that Johnny stuttered. (...just joking).

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    I didn't know that Johnny stuttered. (...just joking).
    He didn't, but his good buddy Mel Tillis did. But, it never showed up in any of his vocals. Just in conversation.. I used to party with a lot of folks in Nashville back in the 60's..
    Last edited by Bill Cunningham; 03-15-2014 at 5:54 PM.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Funny, I've lived in Tennessee all my life and never noticed a "southern accent"....... but ya'll from other places sure do talk different!
    "Time flys like an arrow........ Fruit flies like a bannana."

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Listen to British singers talk and sing. Try viewing an interview with Adelle... she can be difficult to understand if you're not used to the vernacular and accent, but hearing her sing you'd swear there wasn't an accent at all. Singing uses a different part of the brain than speech, hence why people who stutter are taught to hold a monotone note when speaking.
    She affects an American accent when she sings. Abba didn't even speak English, but they sang in an American accent. (or for those of you from the South, in a Midwest American Accent)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Pogue View Post
    Funny, I've lived in Tennessee all my life and never noticed a "southern accent"....... but ya'll from other places sure do talk different!
    Tennessee Ernie Ford said Jimmy Carter was the 1st president that didn't have an accent.