Thread: question aigner contermax users

question aigner contermax users

What procedure do you use for attaching the backer/stop piece to the aigner contermax coping jig? It appears that to access the screws which are used to attach the backer piece you either have to remove the handle or remove the mounting plate. Both methods seem awkward. Getting the piece to fit parallel to the face of the jig seems fussy. What am I missing?
    Thanks,
    David

I bought one when I bought my new Martin shaper last year.I used it once,the cutter sucked the piece into the machine,scared the crap out of me,it has sat on a shelf collecting dust ever since then.I found it very akward to use,I just went back to a homemade coping sled.

That's not good. I'm thinking the contermax really needs a continuous, not split, fence and as close to zero clearance as possible. I don't tend to do the plunge style zero clearance, don't like the plunging operation. I just cutout for the cutter reasonably close with a jig saw or whatever. I did a little experimenting with the contermax and found pulling one screw off the handle and swinging it out of the way made for pretty easy attachment of the backer block.

Aigner cope 2.jpgAigner cope 1.jpgAigner cope 3.jpgThe backer attachment is pretty lame, hard to keep square and you are right the handle has to be removed to get a good job on putting the backer on. We drilled a series of holes on ours. Just cut your backer square, push it against the fence and screw it down. You do loose the adjustability for width this way but it is quick to change.

We have all sorts of sliding shapers and tenoners in our shop but use this quite a bit for one off work. The advantage over a sled is the material references off the table so for end return cuts on stools or moldings there is no setup. You do need to bridge the fence to use this safely.
    Joe

Thanks, I'll probably follow your lead and drill it out to attach the backer piece with screws. It seems like there's just enough play in the stock backer attachment setup that when you apply the spring pressure it moves out of square, also loosens a bit. Otherwise it seems like a useful jig. Safe and ergonomic. Thanks again,
    David