Thread: gummy epoxy

gummy epoxy

Yesterday morning I filled some cracks in a tabletop for an end table with some devcon epoxy I picked up from the hardware store. The top is reclaimed red fir at 5% moisture. Brought it into the house so it was at about 70°. 24 hours later one tube out of the two I used is still gummy and sticky. I mixed them both the same way. Has anyone had this problem before, or have any advice about what I can do? I really don't want to build another top.

You can try some heat, maybe 10 to 30 minutes depending on temp and volume of epoxy. I usually use a light bulb, 100W or halogen, depending on what kind of fixture I have available to shine on the work (fairly close of course, maybe less close for a halogen bulb). Even a hair drier if you have the patience. I've also put stuff out in the sun here on a warm day. Works great around here, but maybe not where you live (we get a lot of sun D: )

Are you sure the mix ratio was correct? The only time I have had this happen is when I messed that up, which is a bummer, because it then never really seems to cure (I hope that is not the case with yours).

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

I used the entire syringe of epoxy so I am assuming the mix was correct. I always mix the whole container to avoid problems like this. I heated it up and now I am letting it sit. Hopefully it cures up.

Try using a hair drying on "hi".
    Howie.........

The light bulb helped. So if a little is good a lot is great. Baked the top in front of the shop heater till it was almost too hot to touch. After it cooled it was hard as a rock. Lesson learned. No more cheap epoxy for this guy. Thanks to all who replied. I was at a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by steven taggart View Post
    The light bulb helped. So if a little is good a lot is great. Baked the top in front of the shop heater till it was almost too hot to touch. After it cooled it was hard as a rock. Lesson learned. No more cheap epoxy for this guy. Thanks to all who replied. I was at a loss.
    Steven

Epoxy cures by exothermic reaction, or heat. It can work for, and against, you with epoxy. Control the heat, versus amount of epoxy, and you have more control over the product.
    I think you got a bad tube of epoxy personally. It would appear that the hardener component was either the incorrect temp range, or insufficient in volume.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)