Thread: Replacement Magnetic switch question

Replacement Magnetic switch question

I have a 2hp Jet JJ8 Jointer and need a new magnetic switch..single phase 220v...for you electric gurus.....will this one work for me?
    http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G4572-...productDetails
    many thanks
    Ray

Hate doing this to you but a few questions. Just trying to help you make a good choice in a solution.

Why are you replacing the box? What makes you think it is bad?

What is the max amperage of your jointer's motor?

Will you ONLY run this jointer on 220V? It does both 110V and 220V.

Have you pulled the cover off your existing switch box and looked up the part numbers for the mag starter and overload relay inside it? It may be cheaper to replace those and they will work off 110V or 220V and be rated correctly. The Jet box from WMH is expensive but I bet the components are not.

To answer your question - if your motor's max amperage is less than 12.5 amps and you are only going to every use 220V yes it will work.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Mike
    Thank you for the reply. Not sure on the amp draw & will check. Limited troubleshooting by me included pressing a plunger(?) which made contact move and the motor started. Would that be the Mg starter? I did not realize that you could change these parts. I'll check
    Thank you again
    Ray

12 amp draw....the part is a Sheridan Electric SB-09 Contactor.....I cannot find this part using a google search......where would I find this? Thank you :-)

I found the WMH site you spoke of.....I requested one thru them. We'll see what happens. I also just tapped the contactor a couple of times with a block of wood.....the switch is working fine now :-)