Thread: Incra style router fence with Jessem excel lift

Incra style router fence with Jessem excel lift

Need to replace my router lift. The lift is a 10 yr old Jointech lift with DRO. I really liked that lift. It has a Jointech Incra-style fence which is rock solid & very accurate. The table is 27 wide x 36 deep. What I really would like is to buy a Jessem qMast R Lift Excel II with the sidewinder handle and their DRO and use it with a cast iron Bench Dog top and the Jointech fence. The obvious issue is that the Bench Dog CI top is meant to be used with the longer dimension at front, like most non-Incra style router tables. The Incra-style fence router tables need to have their longer dimension front to back, not side to side. I guess I could extend the CI top with phenolic to get the deeper dimension needed for an Incra-style fence. Has anyone done this sort of mixing and matching on a router table setup ? Am I missing something as to why this wouldn't work ?
    Last edited by Bob Michaels; 03-13-2014 at 11:21 PM.

Your biggest concern is the size of the router lift plate dimensions, and will it fit the Bench Dog cast top insert opening. I currently have the Woodpeckers PRL and would love a Bench Dog top, but my current lift will not fit this top. Don't want to change to the Bench Dog lift because the number of insert rings is not as extensive as the Woodpeckers' offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    Your biggest concern is the size of the router lift plate dimensions, and will it fit the Bench Dog cast top insert opening. I currently have the Woodpeckers PRL and would love a Bench Dog top, but my current lift will not fit this top. Don't want to change to the Bench Dog lift because the number of insert rings is not as extensive as the Woodpeckers' offerings.
    Good point, Mike. I was aware that plate size needed to be checked out, but forgot to do it until you reminded me. Bottom line is the Mast R Lift Excel II won't fit the Bench Dog CI top. Bummer, but not the end of the world. I think I will just get the Jessem package, without the fence, but with the DRO, use my Jointech Incra-style fence and add the additional table area to the rear for the fence attachment. The main reason for the Mast R Lift Excel II is the hand wheel. Seems very convenient but maybe I'm over thinking this. Anyone here feel that the Excel II handwheel is really an awesome feature, or OTOH, doesn't it make that much difference. Bob.

Bob,

First, I believe the Excel II is a package deal that includes the phenolic table. I do not think Jessem sells the items separately - the lift is built into the table. If you got the package you would have to do what you stated - somehow extend the rear of the table.

As for having the hand wheel, this is a nice feature if you do "plunge" cuts where the work piece would cover the standard raising mechanism on the lift plate. I have the discontinued Woodpeckers version that has come in handy.

You could call Jessem and see if they would sell you the Excel parts separate from the lift and table. You could then do some fabrication with the BD table and get the Mastr-lift-II though Rockler/Incra. However, you would have to be comfortable with drilling into the new table and lift plate.