Thread: Blum Undermounts - Which Ones?

Blum Undermounts - Which Ones?

I was hesitant to use these, but saw a few suggestions in mu prototype post to use them, so maybe I will do some research, and see....

The ones Rockler have are $60 or so, but then I see them online in the $20's.

I was sticking to some traditional slides (i.e. 1/2" on each side of the drawer) for some options and keeping my choices plentiful, plus, using 1/2" slides I can start the design process, and change slides if I found better options/pricing.

However, these Blums got me interested now, but hesitant due to the exactness of the drawers details now.

Is there a Blum that fits my plans? That is, can I design for 1/2" slides, change over to Blums if I chose to?

THX

JJ in Pittsburgh

I am a firm believer in buying the slides (which ever type/brand you want) before starting the design process. Design for what you have in hand rather than what you think you may get. Blum 562s are top quality products - not cheap - but way/way cheaper than $60 a piece. I am sure there are other places as well, but woodworkers hardware dot com comes to mind. I don't recall your project, but if you are inserting drawers in a face frame application, wait to finalize the drawer size (drawer face and back length-cutting stop block) after the face frame is completed. Build the drawers to 1/32" tolerance - if you miss the size by a 32nd, they will work. If you build to a sixteenth and miss by a sixteenth, problems. Don't sweat a 32nd tolerance criteria, it is just a number on a ruler. Out of square drawers are more problem than a slight dimension miss. I use the Blum jigs for drilling the soft close screw holes but I have a kitchen cabinet run from time to time and it was worth it to me to buy the expensive jigs specifically for the Blum hardware.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Jump View Post
    .. can I design for 1/2" slides, change over to Blums if I chose to?..
    No, the Blum Tandems require different dimensions on the drawer box than 1/2" sidemounts.

Blum has a couple of Excel-based planning tools for their Tandem Plus Blumotion slides that will give you the drawer box dimensions based on the opening size and cabinet depth. I've found them to be very helpful and used them frequently until I developed a dynamic component for SketchUp that automatically sizes the drawer box for opening and cabinet depth.

Check here: http://www.blum.com/us/en/02/20/10/

I suggest blum 563H, soft close under mounts. They run $22-$28 per pair depending on source and quantity, plus you have to buy the clips that connect the drawers to the sides, about $5-$8 depending on which model you need for your application. I reiterate here......don't buy hardware from Rockler unless you want to get raped. $60 for blums? Ouch. The 562's are very similar but are hard close, they sort of pull shut hard at the end which creates a clamor on silver ware and pot/pan drawers. Bit cheaper but not worth it. The soft close is sweet. No, you cannot use the same drawer boxes for side mounts as under mounts, and each under mount manufacturer has slightly different installation requirements, so pick your slides, buy a set, get the install sheet, build to that. The first time I looked at a blum install sheet my head hurt, lots of info on a little piece of paper...or PDF....but its really not that complicated and is quite easy to work through. Not as straight forward as drawer opening minus 1" like on side mounts, but almost. The real joy comes on install, when the slides just go in and close beautiful. Put in side mounts even a light 1/32" out of square.....binding, not closing, etc. Just sucks. Blums? You have to be pretty badly out of square before it matters, and given the state of plywood its rare that boxes are all dead square in 3 dimensions. That soft close bit gets you the "thanks honey" at the end of your kitchen, its just nice.

What Peter said. It's not hard, just different, but if you can read and follow directions it's pretty easy. AH Turf is the lowest cost source I've found for Blum Tandems w/ BluMotion. Great customer service, too. Like Peter said, you want the 563H ones. I'd also recommend the locking devices with side adjustability. If you have a cabinet full of drawers they make alignment down right easy. Even more valuable with inset drawers.

John

Let’s make sure I got this right, after reading the Blum .pdf package.

First off, what is the difference between the 563’s and the 563H’s?

The screws, are they just wood screws?

For each drawer, I will need…..

(2) 563 or 563H slides
    (8) Screws

(1) Right hand locking device
    (1) Left hand locking device
    (4) Screws

(2) Non-handed mounting bracket
    (6) Screws

What mounts the slide to the bracket? The (6) screws mount the bracket to the cabinet.

You want a box of #6X5/8" wood screws to secure slides to the case, some 1/2" #6 pan heads to secure the clips to the drawer boxes, the mounting brackets are only needed if you are using face frame cabinets and securing slides only to frame and backs....I don't build like that. I prefer to pack out the sides and treat them like frameless cabs which you just screw to the case sides, those rear brackets suck, and climbing into a cabinet to put in rear brackets sucks even more! So two different kinds of screws, I usually buy from WWhardware.com., and they generally include enough screws with e h order for the slides I've bought. The clips are rights and lefts, as are the slides , so you need one pair of each per drawer box.

I differ from Peter, I prefer the the rear brackets. They are very quick & forgiving. To op , the Blums aren't as complicated as they seem. If you can go see a drawer with one already installed that would help you visualize what you need to do.