Thread: Metering Electric Usage in the Shop

Metering Electric Usage in the Shop

There have been several threads on the web over the years about how much electric power a shop uses. The easiest way to tell is to meter actual power usage. Hialeah Meter will sell you a refurbished power meter like the ones on the side of a house. You can pick up a meter base from either BORG, or electric supply house. My "Easy Read" meter cost less than $35 delivered. I'm using it for a well pump that will get it's power through the outside panel in my rental next door. Most years, we use about $18 worth of electric, but with garbage fees, pay over $360 per year. That amounts to a 2000% mark up, plus the $1.50 is a commercial rate, so actual cost under residential rates is less.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    There have been several threads on the web over the years about how much electric power a shop uses. The easiest way to tell is to meter actual power usage. Hialeah Meter will sell you a refurbished power meter like the ones on the side of a house. You can pick up a meter base from either BORG, or electric supply house. My "Easy Read" meter cost less than $35 delivered. I'm using it for a well pump that will get it's power through the outside panel in my rental next door. Most years, we use about $18 worth of electric, but with garbage fees, pay over $360 per year. That amounts to a 2000% mark up, plus the $1.50 is a commercial rate, so actual cost under residential rates is less.
    Bruce,

Thanks for the info.
    I re-read this several times over, until I understood it.
    I was searching for the meter at Home Depot & Lowes online with no results.
    Got it. They, those stores sell the base; the panel. Hialeah Meter sells the meter.

Then one has to wire the base into the supply panel and plug in the meter (all correctly and safely of course).

The part I haven't figured out yet is, how they (implied) meter $324 worth of garbage fees + the buck fifty

I'm assuming the desire to meter is based on your rental next door.

My reason to meter is simply separating my hobby shop from the home usage; a mater of curiosity but still nice to know; given all the combined HVAC, lights and machinery.

Per month, well pump uses about $1.50 worth of electricity, but with garbage fees added, bill is about $30 per month. That like ordering a $5 burger, and then having to pay $100 for it.