Thread: Powermatic 60 vs Grizzly G0656

Powermatic 60 vs Grizzly G0656

What do you guys think would be the better machine for the $$. I am looking at powermatic 60 (green version) that appears to be in very nice condition for $600-700, or do you think that I would be better off spending an extra $300 to buy a new Grizzly G0656? I currently have a 1950's Delta 6" jointer that has served me well, but is just not large enough. Any help would be appreciated.

I just purchased a 1971 powermatic Jointer from a high school woodshop. It was in storage for awhile but it ran excellent. The shop instructor actually said it cuts better than their new Jet.

However, you will want to check these machines thoroughly because even will a sound machine, you can easily put 200-300 bucks into it just to get it in working condition. For instance, I am looking for a single phase motor and I need to get new blades. I also need to refinish the tables and they can be tricky to adjust if your cuts are off. Another thing to look at is the fence, they tend to warp. You can fix it, but again, it's time and or money. But, for me, it's a way to learn the machine and I got it for a great price so I am still making out better than buying a new one. Plus, these old powermatics are made to last.

If you do buy a new one, I'd make sure you get the helical cutterhead and the parallelogram table adjust. IMO those two features are the only thing that set new machines away from the old machines. And I would probably only buy new if you couldn't get the 60 for cheaper. I would only spend 600 if there's no immediate work or money to put into it. What kind and size motor does the 60 have? I am curious because mine has a 3/4 hp 3 phase and was thinking I should get a 1 or 1.5 hp when I shop for the single phase motor.

-Nate

The PM60 that I am looking at has a 1.5hp single ph motor in it. From what I can tell in pictures it looks like it is in perfect shape no rust or damage & the paint looks great. They guy said that it runs & operates well. I think that when I priced a new grizzly with the helical cutter & parallelogram beds it was near $1500 after shipping.

I was in your exact same boat literally three weeks ago. I went with the 1971 PM60 for the quality and price. If it helps you compare: By the time I have my motor, switch, knives, and tables cleaned up, I'll be about 600 bucks total invested which I feel the machine is worth that. Mine has the orginal paint finish and it's a little worn so I guess if it had a cleaner look it might be worth more.

If I decide to buy a helical cutterhead, I'm probably at 900 or so invested. That's way under 1500. Granted I still don't have the parallelogram adjust, but it's not a 600 dollar feature to me.

For you: It sounds like the motor is fairly new so you should not have issues there, but if there are table and cutterhead issues, along with the hassle of hauling it, you might be better off with a newer machine with the new features.

I would just bring a square and a piece of wood with you when you check out the PM. Lower and raise the infeed table to make sure it is smooth and triple check the cuts to make sure it performs. If it checks out, I think you will be happy going with the PM.

I live in the south but I'm from the north.
    I have a 60 I have used for almost 30 years. It's a brut. Might put a segmented head in it. Day in and day out it runs when I flip the switch.

I have a PM60, it's a fine machine, although mine's a 60B, a bit newer with 2HP donk. $600 is pushing it, $700 is too much. I paid $750 for mine when it was about 6 yrs old. Sounds like you can add 30yrs to the one you're looking at.

If the seller is stuck on $700, I'd go with the Grizzly. At $600, I expect you could always sell it for what you have in it, and go with the Grizzly in the future.

Addition - There's one on the Atlanta Craigslist for $450. It's a gold one, no mobile base (the 60B & C have them), looks in fair condition. Says it's 250V, 30A. Sounds like a 3-5HP motor to me. So that reinforces my view that $600-$700 for an original 60 is too much.

The Powermatic will most likely outlast the Grizzly. My restored 8 inch Jet fetched over a thousand dollars and any eight inch American jointer will get around $800. The shape of the jointer determines the value. Bearings prove easy to change but items like having a flat table prove a bit more difficult for an owner to perform on his own. A Powermatic 60 jointer in the middle of the country in Ohio fetched $725 last Saturday and the buyer indicated he had tried for a very long time to get one at that price. Most view the Powermatic as superior to the Delta. Look closely at the condition and know how it should operate.

So I went and look at the Powermatic 60 jointer this evening. The overall condition was good, but the table had some signs of wear on it. I went to measure the tables & fence I found that the in feed table had a twist & drop by about 1/8". He was willing to go down to $600, but the table being out so far made me kinda nervous. After I made the 1.5hr drive back home I got a call from the seller and he said that he was able to figure out how to adjust the way screws & get the tables running flat. Do you think the jointer is worth another trip &for $600? Does it sound right that he was able to get the table aligned without shimming them?

Jeremy,

I looked on vintage machinery.org for the manual. It's good to have the manual even if it's only to look over things. The manual answers your question on page 6. In short, he did not have to shim the table. If you send me your e-mail address, I will e-mail you the manual.

It's up to you if it's worth it or not. If I was looking for an 8 inch model, it would prove worth it.

Regards,

Rich
    Last edited by Rich Riddle; 03-12-2014 at 7:36 PM.