Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you use to hold your plans while you work?

What do you use to hold your plans while you work?

Folks - I've finally had it with having multiple pieces of paper with drawings and open ww magazines strewn across my work area each with something to do with the current project. I'd like to make something to hold it all so I can see them but they aren't loose and getting lost or in the way.

So, I thought I'd see if folks would share how they organize the plans of their current project. Pix would be very appreciated.

What I have in my head at the moment is a sort of small, desktop size, easel sort of thing, with a 24' x 24" piece of 1/4" ply set at a good viewing angle (maybe 30 degrees off vertical?). I'd paint the ply with magnetic paint, and then could use a bunch of little rare-earth magnets to hold the individual pieces of paper. A little tray in front at the bottom of the play to keep a magazine upright, with room for pencils. It needs a easily grabbed handle to I can move it when it's in the way.

Anyone got anything more clever? Variations on that theme? I'm making a credenza-ish entertainment center, and have at least 5 different drawings as well as a couple of FWW mags that each illustrate a different part, as well as the to-do list, and it's just too much to keep spreading it out, picking it up, etc.

Thanks -

Ken

First, you will probably hear from the majority that they don't work from plans. I do.

I put any plans that are more than one page into a 3-ring binder so that the pages will stay opened to the page I'm viewing and also make it easy to flip to another page. An easel-type holder like you are contemplating would be cool but it would also be another thing to take up space. I usually just place my binder on the table saw extension table and work from it there.

I say go with your idea. If it doesn't work out, it's not a big expenditure in time and stock to make it. In your shop, you have to use the methods that work best for you. That's always an evolving process.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

I always seemed to set stuff on my plans and get a hole in them here and a tear in them here. I looked at my hanging broom storage one day and decided to hang my plans on the wall. I have some spring clips hanging on an open wall and hang my prints from them when I am working on something. I find it works fairly well.

What are these "Plans" you speak of and how exactly do they work?

I don't work from detailed plans but I'll often have a drawing with critical dimensions. Those kind of float around. But I do have a whiteboard in my shop that I use to work out details--maybe a sketech, maybe a list of dimensions, whatever. Consider a magnetic whiteboard. We bought a 24x36 one for our kitchen and installed it on the back of the pantry door. It takes the place of the magnets on the fridge as well as usual whiteboard use.

I usually hang plans from a shelf using clamps. Anything that is from a magazine or 8 1/2 x11 sheet I store them in a 3" three ring binder as Cody mentioned. I don't have extra wall space in my shop, so the edge of the shelf is as close as I can get. It really works well, nothing fancy. Easy to see and I don't have to move it around.

I use pencil sketch's with the dimensions and pin them on a cork bulletin board.
    Bill

" You are a square peg in a square hole, and we need to twist you to make you fit. " My boss

Same as Matt here. I stick cutlists to the fridge behind the tablesaw too.

mine are all over the shop in piles while I'm working on something, at the end of the job I collect everything up and stuff it in a manila envelope and write what it is in big letters and file it away. I find having the saved information in one place is really useful.
    Tom

My plans are in my head. The rest is a matter of calculations and documenting the results as a reference while creating them. Those notes & calculations are on a scratch pad on a clip-board, and in memory of a scientific, solar powered, T.I. calculator from my late 1970's education era. The broader field of Mathematics changed little since and my trusty calculator was as important as a dial caliper, hammer and screw driver in my corporate, industrial career.
    ....well, some plans are also on the computer, but work in progress is on paper, on the bench.

Plans usually stay in office,cutlists and one-off's(quicky 3D drawings) are treated somewhat like you see in a short order restaurant.Although,we don't use their fancy carousel'd springy things,haha.

Those blackish/blueish spring clamps get swiped from wifeypoo....these are near bench hanging on nails.....eye level.

The other place is on the sheet metal cover of our BS.I use Mag Float aquarium magnets.

12. Plans are just another tool that seem to float around the shop. They are something that I am always looking for even though I just had them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    First, you will probably hear from the majority that they don't work from plans. I do.
    Dunno about being in the majority, but if you're only making one...
    The North Bennet street school stresses full size drawing for three months at the beginning of studies.

The recommend method is to put front and side views on a sheet of thin plywood.
    That way, you can lay pieces on the template to check for size.

If you wanted more than one, you've got a standard at the ready.

Working by hand means there's no "set up" - mark a line, cut to the line.

Currently I put plans on grid paper and collect the various drawings on a clipboard that I keep on a side bench as I work. I have an 8' white board in my shop that I put up years ago when I moved into the house, I thought that would be handy. But with limited space, I decided I needed the space in front of it for the lathe. I also now need the wall space to store turning blanks and other things.

So, as soon as I get my MS bench done, I'm going to rip that 8' white board into 3 sections and build easels from them. As someone mentioned that may present a space problem too, but I like the idea of sitting on a tall stool and doodling out the project in mind.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 03-10-2014 at 8:06 AM. Reason: typos
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    I usually work with designers and architects that have AutoCAD or something compatible with it so I generate a dimensioned drawing and print it on 8-1/2" x 11" (or 14" legal) sheets, and when necessary print out certain details full scale on the same size sheet. I keep them on a couple of clipboards that I hang around the shop where they are handy (And off the bench where they get lost). I found that drilling a hole in the middle of a side handy for hanging them with drawing right way up.

I stopped doing full scale layout once I learned to use CAD, it's faster for me and more accurate. And I can throw all the paper away at the end of the job.