Thread: Kids project ideas?

Kids project ideas?

Looking for ideas for a kids project. My niece and nephew (8 and 10) will be visiting in a couple weeks. Last year, we built bluebird houses, so Im looking for something a little different. Basically, I will cut pretty much everything and they will just assemble with basic hand tools like hammer and screwdriver. A cut with a hand saw might be ok, but nothing fancy.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Keep Sake Box or Cutting Boards

Here's a simple keep sake box that uses butt joints. My 11 year old son made a similar one for 4H last year, but rather than use metal hinges, it had dowel pins serve as the hinges. If you have a drill press, letting kids help operate it can be safe with some supervision.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/album.php?albumid=306&attachmentid=255510

You don't need to make a tray. You could attach the sides with nails, or as my son did, attach it with counter sunk wood screws and then plug the holes. More work at the drill press, and the flush cut saw is not too dangerous.

Another popular item is laminated cutting boards. They could help glue and clamp and sand, and then wipe on some food safe finish.

Another simple little project is a tissue box cover. This is a pretty popular 4H project for 4th grade students - 1/4 to 3/8" stock - butt joints, pre-drilled and nailed with brads, a little wood putty in the nail holes, a little sanding, a wipe on finish, and you have a family fixture that will last for decades. You might want to figure out what tissue "Mom" normally stocks and buy a couple of boxes just to make sure the finished product will cover the goods. a 1/2" groove, 7" long works well for "fishing" out the tissue. Let us know what you build.
    Last edited by Joe A Faulkner; 03-09-2014 at 10:23 PM.