Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My New DVR-2005

My New DVR-2005

Hello to all,

This is the first time posting on this forum for me, however I have been standing in the wings for some time now, just lurking. I must say that this is with out a doubt, the most complmentary, and self motivated group of wood turners I have found on the net. I guess like many, I do a quite a bit of wood surfing.

My first love is Gerri, my wife and my second love is wood turning. I do not stick to any one subject in the turning world, I find it all interesting, as long as I can get it to come out round. I have been turning for about 40 yrs. now and have created the most expensive pile of composted wood chips for the garden, as well as, some of the most exotic fire wood in the area where I live.

For a long time now I have had the desire to build, and or turn a treadle wood lathe. Now that I am retired, I have had the time, as well my dr. said I should have an exercise program. So I thought I might stop in and post a photo or two of my new lathe, for anyone that may be interested.

This forum, as for what I have found, does not afford a photo album of sorts, may be I just didn't see it. I have 150 photos of the turning and construction of the lathe, and about 40 for showing on the net, if this is the only medium at this time I will post some more in the future, if folks would wish to view them.

I am just learning how to keep in time with the lathe, as it is harder than patting your head and rubbing your tumy at the same time.

Added a link for more photos
    Feel free to turn it over, Thanks for looking Bill.>>>>>>> http://img235.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=web001f7ep.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Stevener; 06-19-2005 at 8:53 PM. Reason: added a link for photos

2. The lathe is beautiful!

I found a photo-posting service that purports to be free and without bandwidth or disk space limits. http://www.imageshack.us/ They allow "hot-links" into forums unlike most of the others. I don't know how "old" they are, or if they will be around forever, so I wouldn't make that the only place you have the photos, but it might be an alternative to the Yahoo or MSN Groups that don't allow hot linking.

Bill, welcome to the forum. What is the lathe made of and how many hours do you have in it? It looks incredible.
    There are two kinds of people in this world, those who say there are two kinds of people and those who don't

WOW, now that is quite an accomplishment and something to be proud of for sure. You are one of the few I guess that can still turn when the power goes out.

Frank It works, Silas = info. Posted a Link.

Frank, Thank You for a great link. Took some time for me to master it, as I am not a comp. wiz, just an old turner. Great page, realy lets you get around.

Silas, I think you and others will find all the info. you may wish at this time, as ever, feel free to ask any questions, I will try and fill in any blanks, if I can??

Hope you enjoy. Bill.>>>>

Welcome to the Creek Bill.

That is a nice job you did on that lathe. Just incredible! Have you used it yet? Not long ago someone was posting questions on treadle lathes?

It will be great having another veteran turner on this forum. I've been turning since January and can use all the help I can get and if you happen to see any of my primitive stuff, it may take you down a rookie memory lane.

Ernie

Bill.....Welcome to the Creek! I am not a turner yet but I am greatly impressed with that lathe!

I could not help but notice you're from Texas Township Illinois? If I might ask, where is that at? My father's family is from southern Illinois.....Flora where I went to High School. My wife is from Fairbury...near Bloomington. We moved here in Idaho from Joliet where I worked in Chicago for 4 1/2 years and commuted daily.

Again......Welcome to the Creek and great lathe!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

WOW Bill.. I'm speachless.. (and hubby says that isn't something that happens often ) You have one fine work of art!!

Dawn

Incredible Bill!!! Definitely a work of art. I'm looking forward to seeing all your work and hope to learn a thing or two from you. Welcome to Sawmill Creek!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Thanks to all for the kind thoughts, they always tend to refresh ones spirits, however, I am not one without questions, I find it a bad day when you don't learn something.

Ken, Texas Township is 20 mi. so. of Bloomingtion, and a stones throw w. of Clinton. As history notes; back around mid 1800 a group of settlers from the east were on there way to Texas. When they arrived in this area, the wagon master said to the folks, welcome to Texas. hence the name and how the area began.

Bill.>>>>>>>>

Bill.....My wife is from Fairbury which is 30 miles east and north of Bloomington. Isn't there a lake at Clinton......I vaguely remember fishing there with my father-in-law a few years ago. I may have been close to or passed through Texas Township......Again...great lathe and welcome to the Creek!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Bill, welcome to the creek. Please repost this in the general woodworking forum. The traffic in the turners forum is limited to those with an interest in turning, but I am sure the rest of the menbers will be sorry if they don't get to see your lathe.
    That lathe is a work of art, a true masterpiece, so please do everyone a favor an repost it.

Richard

Richard, Thank You for the kind words.

Only out of respect for a fellow Long Islander, shall I try this. Gerri and I grew up, met and were married on Long Island. Some fond memories.

I belive one who indulges in the world of design and construction of stairs and railings, must be an artist within themselves as well.

I shall give this other post a go.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>

Whow------how did I get such big letters?? Richard, the program will not allow me to repost the photos or the link to the photos in another forum on the same channel, so I left a very friendly invite for all to take some time and visit the wood turmers forum.

Note: #2 - Richard, mission complete, thanks to Ken, Joe and my daughter. The post is working on the General forum. I did leave the invite to all to stop by the turners forum, and see what is going around, over in this "Wood Lot.

Bill.>>>>>>>

Last edited by Bill Stevener; 06-21-2005 at 12:04 PM. Reason: just a note: added # 2

Bill: Welcome to the group. That is one outstanding lathe you made there. Kinda looks like a fancy pipe organ! I'm looking forward to learning from you.
    Ed

Bill,

Welcome to SMC! You have joined a wonderful forum.

With work like this, you need to stick around! That peice is simply elegant!! Show us more pics of your work, please
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"