Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lathe Search Wrapping up - Grizzly G0733 question - G0733 owners?

Question Lathe Search Wrapping up - Grizzly G0733 question - G0733 owners?

All,
    I am coming to the end of my research and about to pull the trigger on a new lathe. One thing that I see is that for the G0733 lathe, a listed length of 80-3/4 but the shipping length is 69". If I look at the pictures, it appears that the bed is one piece which is what I would expect would be the longest length, how can that be? What am I missing? Any G0733 owners mind taking a tape to the bed length? I am narrowed down between a Jet 1642-2 (15% off ends tomorrow) and the Grizzly G0733 (which I have a 10% coupon until later March). I know the Jet will fit my space and not sure about the Grizz, thus the question. Any input would be very helpful! Thanks

Jay,

The bed is about 66 1/8 inches long. The extra length comes from the motor (which hangs off the left end about 11 inches when the headstock is all the way to the left) and the handwheel on the tailstock (which hangs off the right about 4 inches when the tailstock is all the way to the right). I currently have it setup with the headstock and tailstock entirely inboard - so it fits in a smaller space - and there is plenty of room for bowl turning in between.

BTW, I just had the same decision to make - went up to Grizzly last week and came home with a 733 (only 5% off though) - very happy with it, assembled easily, headstock/tailstock alignment good, my HTC chuck fits well, and it's much more stable than the Rikon mini I had been using.

Tim

Tim, Thank you for the prompt response. Your explanation makes total sense, I should have thought about that. What is your take on the fit/finish of it? I have heard some have issues with fitting aftermarket chucks on the shaft? I have a Tektool. I wish I could see one in person before making decision but that doesn't seem to be feasible at this point. Thanks again for the response!

I was lucky to be able to look one over in the showroom before purchase - the fit and finish is generally ok - castings are rough if you look underneath. Jet fit and finish is better. I have an issue with some paint chipping off the back side of the ways, but it is entirely cosmetic - I'll talk to Grizzly about touch up paint eventually. But the bed is smooth, headstock and tailstock move easily, belt tension, headstock, tailstock and banjo are easily adjusted and locked. It runs quietly throughout the speed range on both belts. My HTC 100 chuck seated well and turns without wobble. The only "issue" I found that hasn't already been discussed is the limited adjustability of the leveling feet - my shop floor (garage) slopes substantially, and I had to put a 5/8 inch riser under the "downhill" feet to allow me to level the lathe. I've replaced the Phillips screw locking the belt access door with a knob, and plan to add a handwheel and ballast box soon. The provided rest is a bit rough and ready, but can be smoothed. I plan to replace it (and use existing Sorby modular rests once I get a new post). I'm still debating whether to route out the tool rest post hole to 1 inch, or go with 25 mm accessories. All in all, I'm quite pleased with it - and with the $$ saving relative to the Jet - which I can put towards a coring rig and other things.

I've got the Craftex CX802 which is the identical lathe only sold by Busy Bee here in Canada. I was using the modular rests on my delta midi so it was just a matter of a new post to continue using them. My only complaints are no handwheel at the headstock and for turning pens and other small spindle work the tool rest using the modular rests do not go as close as I would like.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

Tim,
    Thanks for the good feedback. One question, my delta has a secondary arm for the banjo that I think was for end cuts? Does Grizzly make one of these? I do mostly penmaking, but would like to make some segmented platters and bowls. Maybe I could just ream out the hole to a 1" standard and use my delta tool rests for this one as well. How many non-grizzly accessories are made for 25mm (I think that is the grizzly size)? As for the handwheel, I am sure that I can come up with something, not that I use the one on my Delta...Starting to feel that I am about to Green...Just hard without putting my hands on something.

Jay,
    Regarding the secondary arm - I don't know. May be worth a call to Grizzly. You might want to also check with Busy Bee, since the Craftex CX802 which Rick mentioned does have some additional accessories (such as an outboard turning extension) that work on the Grizzly as well. Regarding 25 mm accessories - I haven't found many - as Rick mentioned above, the modular systems (Sorby, etc.) seem to have 25 mm posts as an option. However, more of the tools I've been looking at (e.g., McNaughton coring rig) seem to come with a 1 inch post. Easy enough to ream out the hole.

Good luck with the decision - being able to at least touch a 733 in the showroom, even if I couldn't turn on one first, made my decision a lot easier. Not to mention being able to inspect the crate when it was loaded - and being close enough I could have just thrown the lathe back into the truck and returned it if necessary!

Tim

Thanks! I am still torn between the Jet and Grizz but that is because of never having seen a Grizz product in person. If I ream the banjo to 1" I could use the delta version until I sell it. I think having a "standard" banjo hole makes most sense since accessories are more readily available. I am a long way from the factory if problems arise. Jet has a service center 10 miles from me. I am very comfy with the Jet, but the $520 diff makes the grizz appealing. On paper the grizz has better specs, but I did notice that the grizz has a 5.3a motor and the Jet a 6.1 but doubt that difference is noticeable. The Jet has a 5 year warrant but that is just about their biggest advantage other than my personal experience. I just wish I could see a grizzly in person. The jet sale ends tomorrow so I really feel I need to make this decision in very short order.

Jay
    Another thing I notice in the manual it calls for a 15 A, 220V circuit. The manual for mine doesn't give amperage that I could see but it came wired for a 20A circuit and the label on the machine called for 20A. I ran it for a while on a 15A circuit with no problems but just light stuff. It's a 3 phase motor so that 5.3A is per phase. Whether the wiring was changed because Canadian rules may be tighter I don't know but it is something else to consider. Keep your small one for pens it will be cheaper to run and without getting a second tool rest and shortening it you can't get as close as you would like for pens etc. the tool rest that comes with it is to long to get in close as it hits the tailstock.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

Perhaps you should look at bearings and spindle size and length. For me that 5 year warranty is worth all of the price difference.

11. The bearings listed in the parts list are premium double sealed bearings 6206zz...........I have used mine for 4 1/2 years fairly heavily and they are still smooth and quiet................I don't think you will have to be concerned with bearings on the Grizzly any more than you would the Jet or Powermatic for that matter!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

One thing I might add is if you bore out the banjo to 1" the Grizzly tool rest still works fine.
    Fred

Rick,
    the circuit I will have this on will be a 20a 220v circuit. Good catch tho...

Bill and Roger,
    I have other Jet equipment and I think all of the vendors use a standard bearing. I upgraded the bearings on my bandsaw and found they were standard bearings with a jet specific part number.

Fred,
    I would imagine that it wouldn't affect much, but thanks for the confirmation.

I have spoken to a couple of associates who are relocated from the PA area and they both stated that people come from state's away for the Grizzly tent sales. In fact, they stated they stay away from town those weekends b/c it is such a mad house. I spoke with our Electrical engineer about VFD's and he stated that the bulk of the work and heat is done in the VFD and that the heavier the better. The clock is ticking on my decision...It seems to keep coming back to the fear of the unknown for me.

14. Jay.......personally, I have respect for both the Jet and the Grizzly. I wish you the best with your decision! That being said, the reason I went with the Grizzly 18/47 is because it was more lathe, and had the features nearly identical, except the safety cage [which most turners take it off] and the handwheel.

Mine has served me well and I just turned on it earlier today.......it performs on a par with the much more expensive lathes I have turned on. I have turned on 8 different 3520b's and as far as performance.........my G0698 has done everything they will do, except the 3520b has 2" more swing.

I do not think you will go wrong with either the Jet or Grizzly..........some favor the Jet because of more refined surfaces.......especially the painted areas, but in a year it won't make a whit of difference! They have improved the Grizzly from when I purchased mine 4 1/2 years ago..........better motor and VFD........you get more lathe and ability to turn bigger bowls with the Grizz than the Jet, but again it is your call and your preference.

The longer warranty is nice with the Jet............but from what I hear from owners of the G0733........they are having good reliable service from their lathes, and Grizzly usually has excellent customer service and tries to get any issue resolved if possible.

Good luck, which ever one you decide on!!!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Jay, I have 5 Grizzly tools & there are many things I wouldn't have been able to do without them. 1. Portable planer 2. 14" Band-saw 3. 2 Hp DC 4. Radial Drill-press 5. Combination sander. I also purchased a 3 HP motor to fit my Unisaw & a 52" Shopfox fence & many many smaller items. Yes when the time comes unless I win a drawing for a bunch of money I'll come home with a G0733 in the back of my Van or pickup. Nike it Jay. In other words just do it quit vacillating.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen