Thread: Black line HF

Black line HF

This is my latest hollow form that I created and sent to Ben Grant as my end of a turning trade.

It is spalted silver maple for the body and African blackwood for my standard finial. I forgot to measure it before I sent it to Ben but judging from my previous hollow forms, is is close to 4" wide by 6" tall. Finished with 4 coats of wipe on poly and Ren wax.

Comments and such are encouraged and always welcome, thanks. (oh and Ben seems to like it as well!)

BlacklineHF.jpg
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

That's a classic beauty. The finial is perfectly proportioned for the size and shape of the HF. Well done!

I agree with Bill, I sure like it! Your 'standard finial' really complements the black line spalting.

Wow!!!! That's an exquisite piece!

5. That is a beauty, Scott! Nicely done! I really like this finial........did you change it a little from the previous ones? Perhaps it is the lighting that makes it look just a little different, but it is both elegant and sophisticated while having simple lines. The tip is complimentary and the curve up to the bulb fits the form well. Gotta love that spalt zone lines........the finial is a great match which ties it all together.

Looks like it could be a tuxedo, ready for a night at the Oscars!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

very nice, form and wood

Nice work, Scott. With this much spalting going on, how soft was the wood?
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    .........did you change it a little from the previous ones? ....!
    Roger, at this point they are all pretty close, but not exact copies of my original intention/design. As nice as it would be (I guess) to make exact shape copies, I can't lie and say that I am not done tweaking this finial shape! Good news is that each piece has an original but similar finial!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug W Swanson View Post
    Nice work, Scott. With this much spalting going on, how soft was the wood?
    Doug, the wood was OK but I caught it close enough that it wouldn't last much longer in the log. I sealed this blank a while back and actually forgot about it until I needed to make a piece for my trade with Ben Grant, so that was the one that I found on the shelf! I really like the black line spalting and really need to try and harvest more blanks out of the giant log in the yard before I loose it all.

Thanks for the comments everyone.
    -------
    -------

Hi, Scott
    I enjoy seeing your work and this piece is no exception! Quite nicely done!
    I do have a question though. Why do you use Ren wax over the poly finish? Does it change the sheen or is it for fingerprints? Other? Thanks for sharing!
    Be Blessed

George

10. Scott,

That is one beautiful piece, and your signature finial is just outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by George Conklin View Post
    Hi, Scott
    I enjoy seeing your work and this piece is no exception! Quite nicely done!
    I do have a question though. Why do you use Ren wax over the poly finish? Does it change the sheen or is it for fingerprints? Other? Thanks for sharing!
    Hi George,

The wax is a final protective coating and because it is Ren wax, it also reduces/eliminates finger prints. I used to use the carnuba wheel on my Beall buffing set up but that wax shows finger prints ...so I moved to Ren wax and it works superbly. It does not alter the finish either as it is completely clear. I am not a huge fan of the super high gloss, so I use satin wipe on poly for the pieces that I want a very hard finish. This piece of spalted maple was close to being lost so I definitely wanted the poly to soak in and set up hard in the wood.

Thanks
    -------
    -------