Thread: How to make a flexible strap with veneer?

How to make a flexible strap with veneer?

Hi everyone!

I am student in international business and I do not know anything about wood working. I have an idea of business creation and I would love to know more on how to work with veneer.
    I would like to make a wood band that is as flexible as leather. In fact, a new brand created it for the first time apparently, and I want to do the same. It is a band made with veneer on top of leather.

I have already bought some different types of glue, veneer and leather and make a first trial that wasn’t so bad! But I know that I am still far from something well made, resistant etc.

So I am contacting you because I need some of your precious advices… Do you know how can I process? What time of glue should I use? Treatment of the wood? Technique?...
    Do you know where can I get some help? Discuss with someone on what do I need to make this wood band resistant, esthetic and flexible?

I thank you in advance for your consideration!

Best,

Manon

You can fool with Barge rubber cement, It may keep thin veneers from splintering up. It is very tough, flexible and never lets go without solvent. It is used in the shoe industry for gluing soles. Veneer edges will be prone to splintering so you'll have to do something like sew a piping into the leather to protect the veneer edge.

I think you'll have a lot of difficulty producing a viable, high quality product asking veneers to flex with leather.
    Last edited by Loren Woirhaye; 03-05-2014 at 8:49 PM.

Hi Loren!

Thanks for your useful advice!
    Do you have any glue to recommend me?

Thanks Peter.. that is interesting! I just could't fine any picture. That would be interesting to see how it looks like