Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jet 1642-2 lathe versus Grizzly G0733 lathe?

Does anyone know if the G0733 wasn't upgraded when Grizzly upgraded the G0766? The G0766 also had the 25mm rest and the issue with some chucks not being able to be tightened correctly. By the time I got mine (just before the tariffs hit, Grizzly had the factory make changes. I would have assumed they would have done the same to the G0733.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy Hobbs View Post
    I am thinking about trying to fabricate a hand wheel for my G07033. Can I get a copy of the tutorial?

Hardy, shoot me a PM with your email address, and I'll send it to you. It's not a huge file, but is still too large to post on this forum.

For others reading and commenting on this thread, keep in mind that it is six years old. It was bumped when Hardy asked about the handwheel for his older G0733. As Roger notes, the new G0733s come with a factory handwheel. They also have the 1" bore in the banjo for the tool rest post, rather than 25mm (although drilling out to 1" only took a few minutes with the original banjo).

Also, since the spindle had to be redesigned to accommodate a factory handwheel, I'm virtually certain that there is no longer any need to file the spindle boss to fit some of the aftermarket chuck inserts. In fact, I think the newer G0733s use the same spindle as the G0766.

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    Hardy, shoot me a PM with your email address, and I'll send it to you. It's not a huge file, but is still too large to post on this forum.

For others reading and commenting on this thread, keep in mind that it is six years old. It was bumped when Hardy asked about the handwheel for his older G0733. As Roger notes, the new G0733s come with a factory handwheel. They also have the 1" bore in the banjo for the tool rest post, rather than 25mm (although drilling out to 1" only took a few minutes with the original banjo).

Also, since the spindle had to be redesigned to accommodate a factory handwheel, I'm virtually certain that there is no longer any need to file the spindle boss to fit some of the aftermarket chuck inserts. In fact, I think the newer G0733s use the same spindle as the G0766.
    I bought my G0766 about a year ago. I had to file the spindle for my direct threaded vicmarc chuck, but only a tiny bit. No big deal.

I would go with the Jet. The last time I bought a lathe (and saved some money) I ended up with the same Delta 1440 with the crappy Reeves drive. My gut feeling is you get what you pay for.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bukovec View Post
    I would go with the Jet. The last time I bought a lathe (and saved some money) I ended up with the same Delta 1440 with the crappy Reeves drive. My gut feeling is you get what you pay for.

I've turned on numerous Jet lathes...........trust me, with the G0766 or the G0733, he won't be giving up anything compared to a Jet!!!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I have the 1642 jet lathe and the one reason I bought it was because of the 5 yr warranty...so far I havent had any trouble out of it...I cant speak about the other lathes...I'm sure grizzly makes a good one but I bought mine at woodcraft...and I'm not a big fan of ordering something like that and having it shipped to me...I perfer to be able to go to a dealer rather than deal with someone thru the mail if I have trouble or need parts...

Asking for comparisons and impressions of lathes is akin to trying to make a decision on a new car by checking with owners. We all want to justify our own decisions. That said, buying a new lathe is a wholly personal experience. What fits me and suits the way I turn won’t necessarily translate to your situation. In my opinion, the only way to make such a decision is to spend some time with the the candidates. The showroom floor isn’t necessarily the best place to get unbiased information.
    Luckily, turners are by and large a cooperative and helpful bunch of people, and we’ve got the means of communicating easily via the several forums that serve our community. We love to show off our tools and, simply by asking you’ll often be rewarded with an invitation to visit and experience for yourself. When I was trying to decide between several options a few years ago a few conversations with the manufacturers/reps, questions at the club followed up by a few emails got me enough time on all my candidates to make an informed decision on my ‘last’ lathe. I also crossed a few off my list that others swear by but just didn’t fit.
    In addition, I learned a few things about other approaches and techniques, saw many shop solutions and made several new friends in the process. If you’re in a hurry, this approach won’t work, but if you want to make a decision informed by your own real world experience, its the best way to go IMHO.

tutorial on installing a hand wheel on a G07033

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    . The newer G0733 lathes now have a handwheel as of 2019 if I recall correctly.

https://sawmillcreek.org/group.php?d...389&do=discuss

Checked on the Grizzly site and the new G0733 does have a handwheel. I emailed them and they stated I would have to change the spindle in order to install the new hand wheel.
    David Boseman stated that he used the 2 screws that are used to attach a puller to attach a homemade hand wheel. I would love to see his .pdf file to see how he does that. He said to PM him with an email and he would send it if anyone wanted it but I'm new to this forum and can't figure out how to message him.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Hardy Hobbs View Post
    David Roseman stated that he used the 2 screws that are used to attach a puller to attach a homemade hand wheel. I would love to see his .pdf file to see how he does that. He said to PM him with an email and he would send it if anyone wanted it but I'm new to this forum and can't figure out how to message him.
    click on his name, you will go to his profile page, then click "send private message"

here is a link for the post about the handwheel modification David made.....it is in the Grizzly Green Monster Group community pages...
    https://sawmillcreek.org/group.php?d...389&do=discuss
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 03-03-2020 at 3:43 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

David, I followed the directions and clicked on your name and went to your profile but could not find " send a PM"

Hardy
    Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-04-2020 at 6:10 AM.

Hardy,

Click on Davids name in any post then select Private Message from the menu.

Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 6.10.02 AM.jpg

Hardy, due to a forum policy change last year, unless something has changed again recently, I think you need to be a Contributor, rather than simply a free Member, to have private messaging (and photo viewing) privileges. Well worth the minimum contribution of $6/yr, even without my modest write-up on the handwheel-vacuum adapter.

Hardy, I added a hand wheel to my 733. If you look at the end of the spindle, you will find two screws. I made a disk for an adapter ( scrap sheet aluminium steel, what ever) drilled holes to match spacing on spindle. Drilled another set of holes offset approx 90*. Mount adapter to hand wheel (turned from wood of your choice) with center drilled and access holes to reach spindle screws. Think in terms of an adapter plate that might be used to adapt autoparts, face mount motors etc. Hopefully this help with the thought processes in your design phase. Have fun.

Pat

Pat, I made one out of a piece of cherry I had for a bowl. I turned it down 3 1/2inces for i inch to bring it out from the pulley. Then I turned the wheel and drilled a 3/8 inch hole for the drawbar. to get the placement for the holes to get to the pulley screw holes i cut the head off 2 5/16 in x 24 bolts and sharpened them to a point. Then I put the wheel over the 3/8 drawbar and tapped it to get the impression for the bolt holes. I was very nervous about not being centered and having the hand wheel wobbly too much. However it turned out with very little wobble. I would have liked a larger wheel but the motor wont permit that. I really like the solution you used to attach to the pulley. I wish I had done that. Sounds like that would have centered it much better. I took the 2 small screws out and did not replace them. Now i'm thinking I might need the put them back in and drill a relief for them in the wood. I really appreciate your input on this. I may work on using that method. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    I've turned on numerous Jet lathes...........trust me, with the G0766 or the G0733, he won't be giving up anything compared to a Jet!!!

I did this when I purchased a G0766 a few years ago...never again!