Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jet 1642-2 lathe versus Grizzly G0733 lathe?

Jet 1642-2 lathe versus Grizzly G0733 lathe?

Good morning all. I know that this has probably already been questioned before, but thought I would throw it out there. I am currently considering replacing my Delta 1440 lathe with an upgrade in capacity, power and not to mention get rid of the goofy Reeves drive speed adjustment. I have been warned that Delta parts for it are extremely tough to get. It still works fine, but don’t want to be stuck with a boat anchor. I am considering either the Jet 1642-2 (2 hp model) or the Grizzly G0733. The Jet right now is on sale for about $2250 on various sites online. I haven’t seen anything used and if I decide Jet, I don’t want to miss out on the sale which is until March 10th. Anyone out there have experience/recommendations? I have mostly Jet/PM in my shop now and am very happy with their products. Thanks for your input…

Jay as a previous owner of two Grizzly lathes I'm not a big fan. When they upgraded to the G0733 about all they did was redo the paint. From what I have heard they still have the same issues. The spindle is designed to take only Grizzly chucks, the tool rest won't take aftermarket toolrests. These are rather minor issues but still something that you will have to deal with. The Jet would be my choice even at a few dollars more.
    Fred

It is not likely anyone has both machines in their shop (I have neither). If money is tight and this will be your last lathe, give serious consideration to the Grizzly, reviews are good. If you decide to upgrade in a few years; the difference between the initial cost and resale will likely make the Jet LESS expensive.

I have demo'ed on a 1.5 hp Jet many times. For me, the lathe is a good machine with a good reputation. I have a 3520B, but if I had a 1642 with 2 hp, it is doubful that I would feel much envy for 3520B owners.

There are two items that struck me when turning on the 1.5 hp machine.

Since used to 2 hp and taking LARGE roughing cuts, the 1.5 hp was a little anemic. Most people don't take as heavy a cut though and the power isn't an issue for them.

The other issue is the length of the banjo. The banjo is about two inches too short for the swing of the lathe. Sometimes it is nice to work on the side of the blank closest to the chuck, and a little more length on the banjo would be handy when working on near capacity bowls.

I have never turned on a Grizzly, although a friend has an 18" swing Grizzly that is reportedly 2 hp, and anything other than a light cut makes it trip out and need reset. He has gone round and round with Grizzly without any satisfaction. He generally does his medium to large rough outs on friends lathes and his finish work on his own machine.

5. I have turned on 8 different 3520b Powermatics.........they are the gold standard pretty much in an imported lathe.......that being said........it is my opinion that the Grizzly G0733 will hold its own in performance with the Jet and the Powermatic. While it is true that the G0733 has been machined to metric dimensions [except the spindle threads, they are 1-1/4" x 8tpi, standard]........very simple efforts by the turner will get it into tip top shape for receiving aftermarket accessories made in the USA.

On my G0698 18/47 [the predecessor to the G0733] I took a file and turned the lathe on to about 600 rpm, held the file against the spindle shoulder where the chuck insert mates and took a smidgen off.........no problem! Neither is the 25mm hole in the banjo for the tool rest.....one pass with a 1" drill bit took care of that! The Supernova2 chucks ran true without me doing that, but it was just my preference.........the lathe is a very good lathe! NO issues at all for the 4-1/2 years I have used it [heavily]

I have turned on the Jet 1642 evs..........performance is like my G0698 Grizz. One of our club members lives just down the street and has a Jet 1642 evs......we are over at each others place a good bit........he likes my lathe, and I like his......performance........not a whit of difference. The Jet does have a little more refined machining, but that makes no difference in performance.......it does in the price tag, however!

Here is a link to a video about comparrison between the two lathes.......the guy has both and likes the refinement of the Jet, but is going to sell the Jet and keep the Grizzly..........he mentions the shoulder of the spindle.......he mentions it runs true, and it does not make any difference! He mentions the spindle lock and the pin for the Grizz........it works well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gtgKssFdE4

You get a bigger lathe with the same features [except cage, which most turners take off anyway, and a handwheel, but it is not needed and there are instructions out there for adding one yourself on the Grizzly Green Monster Group, under the Community tab of this forum] After doing much research back in 2009, I decided to go with the Grizzly.........I have not regretted it, never at any time.........my Grizzly 18/47 G0698 has been a stellar performer.

True, a few Grizzly's have had an issue.......Grizzly worked hard to correct them, for the most part. It is also true that some Jets and Powermatics have had some issues.........I have heard about some Oneway's having an issue, and Generals as well, so don't think Grizzly is a pig in a poke.........their lower end lathes are not what you probably want, but the G0632 Jet clone is a good lathe and so is the G0733.

I have no affiliations or connections with Grizzly.........just a satisfied customer. Now.....all that being said, if money were no issue, my dream lathe at this point is a Robust American Beauty.........that will come later, but for now......my Grizzly 18/47 is doing great. I said this back in 2010........the Grizzly is not a Cadillac, but I liken it to a good Buick.......it may not have the high end refinements, but it will certainly get you where you are going!!!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 03-05-2014 at 9:21 AM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

If you haven't seen it there is a side by side comparison of the two on YouTube from the owner of Harrison Specialties. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gtgKssFdE4
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Belknap View Post
    When they upgraded to the G0733 about all they did was redo the paint.
    A little research(very little, just read the description of the G0733!) show that not to be accurate. The biggest difference is Griz went to a 3ph induction motor with VFD as opposed to a PM Dc motor that the G0698 had.

One thing about Grizzly that I like is they have never locked me into Griz accessories. As Roger noted, both the G0698 and G0733 are machined to metric specs(something I think we may as well get used to). Also as Roger pointed out, it takes what, 5 minutes to "fix" both "issues". For about a $1000.00 less, you can by many accessories, and perhaps a little wood!

I also have no connection to Grizzly, except being a very satisfied customer.

Oh, and just for balance, I also own a Jet planer. I am also very happy with it. When I bought it, the Jet and the nearly identical Grizzly were the same price and I got the Jet locally. Now in my opinion Jet is just overpriced.. my $0.02(more or less) worth.
    Last edited by Duane Meadows; 03-05-2014 at 9:59 AM.

I owned the G0698 for a brief time. It had problems starting, which Grizzly could not fix. Grizzly sent a new headstock, but it had the same issues. Grizzly's customer service was good and, when they couldn't fix the problem (which they acknowledged was occurring with other owners), they offered me the option to return it. I did and bought a PM3520b.

I offer this only as one experience, and not a knock against Grizzly or their lathes. I don't know what Grizzly changed between the 698 and 733, but I do know that my 698 did have a VFD.

Thanks for all the comments. I am sure that regardless of manufacturer, they all have their bad apples, eh? The "fixes" mentioned seem to be fairly easy to execute. Another question that comes to mind, is, what brand of motor and inverter does grizzly use? I think I saw that Jet uses Delta inverters which I have heard of. Any idea about the grizzly? Does anyone have a coupon for grizzly? I appreciate your patience with all of the questions!

10. Quote Originally Posted by Jay Yoder View Post
    Thanks for all the comments. I am sure that regardless of manufacturer, they all have their bad apples, eh? The "fixes" mentioned seem to be fairly easy to execute. Another question that comes to mind, is, what brand of motor and inverter does grizzly use? I think I saw that Jet uses Delta inverters which I have heard of. Any idea about the grizzly? Does anyone have a coupon for grizzly? I appreciate your patience with all of the questions!

Jay.......a call to Grizzly Tech support could answer your specific question on inverters on the G0733. I heard that they went to a Delta inverter, but I cannot confirm that as reliable info! They have a cover box it looks like in the picture, but I am not sure whether or not that is like on my G0698 which also serves as a dust cover. They did go to an A/C motor and would have had to change the inverter from the ones they used with the D/C brushless motors.

A lot of the lathes you see on the market are indeed manufactured in the same plants and use interchangable parts.......including the PM's and Jet's ........some of the same parts are on some Grizzly lathes as well as Busy Bee in Canada and the Hare & Forbes Woodmaster 18/47 in Australia. Now Baliegh also carries this lathe in a blue/white paint scheme.......Laguna had it in black/white.

Each vendor has some requirements in their individual specs.......depends on what they contract with the manufacturer to do, and the price points they want to market the lathe at.........Grizzly tech support can give you the reliable info on this.

According to their parts list, the G0733 has a Delta inverter.
    P0733045 INVERTER DELTA VFD015M21A)
    . Subject to change I suppose. Don't know about the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Jay.......a call to Grizzly Tech support could answer your specific question on inverters on the G0733. I heard that they went to a Delta inverter, but I cannot confirm that as reliable info! They have a cover box it looks like in the picture, but I am not sure whether or not that is like on my G0698 which also serves as a dust cover. They did go to an A/C motor and would have had to change the inverter from the ones they used with the D/C brushless motors.

A lot of the lathes you see on the market are indeed manufactured in the same plants and use interchangable parts.......including the PM's and Jet's ........some of the same parts are on some Grizzly lathes as well as Busy Bee in Canada and the Hare & Forbes Woodmaster 18/47 in Australia. Now Baliegh also carries this lathe in a blue/white paint scheme.......Laguna had it in black/white.

Each vendor has some requirements in their individual specs.......depends on what they contract with the manufacturer to do, and the price points they want to market the lathe at.........Grizzly tech support can give you the reliable info on this.
    Sounds like the old stories about bananas...they all came off of the same tree, but had different badges. I do have some more research to do as the clock is ticking on the Jet. What are the benefits of AC motor instead of DC? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Duane Meadows View Post
    According to their parts list, the G0733 has a Delta inverter.
    P0733045 INVERTER DELTA VFD015M21A)
    . Subject to change I suppose. Don't know about the motor.
    Sure hope that I never have to replace that inverter! It came up at $700+!!! Yikes...thanks for the info tho

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Yoder View Post
    Sure hope that I never have to replace that inverter! It came up at $700+!!! Yikes...thanks for the info tho
    Yeah, I wouldn't by a replacement from Griz... they are available a lot cheaper elsewhere. Not always the case, but on these it really is! Downside? You would likely have to program it yourself.

15. This is a quote directly from their webpage about the motor change.......

We changed from a (brushless) DC motor to a 3-phase AC motor for several reasons. It's quieter, electrically more efficient, and provides smoother power output - especially at slower speeds. The DC motor design can be a bit choppy at slower speeds, and while most users wouldn't notice this, we decided it was worth the upgrade. Also, 3-phase AC motors are the most reliable motor design that there is. So the change improves both the performance and reliability of an already outstanding heavy-duty wood lathe.

So there you go! One of the complaints about the original G0698 was that it had a little "hunt" when at low rpm, meaning it would be a little choppy, but this was never an issue for me.........my lathe has actually gotten a little better than when new..........I can turn fairly smooth at 60 rpm on the low belt setting. I know the PM 3520b's have a low rpm of 50 and they cut off at that point.

Most people would not turn at that low of an rpm, but a few sand at a really slow speed..........I never felt like there was much difference in being able to sand at 50 rpm or 100 rpm...........