Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plumber of the Year Awards for 2013

Blog Entries

Plumber of the Year Awards for 2013

It is amazing how much one can get paid for such a lousy job:

http://www.weeville.com/plumberofyear.htm

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Classic, That is all I can say

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It is amazing how much one can get paid for such a lousy job:

http://www.weeville.com/plumberofyear.htm

jtk
    Funny pictures
    ... but its really not funny as I see so many plumbing screw-ups all the time in hotel rooms and public rest rooms.

* More often than not the T.P. holders are mounted inconveniently, way low close to the floor, or one has to reach behind oneself, or too far away.
    * Hot & cold reversed.

* Designing our new house, in the model home, in the master bath, one has to squeeze between the toilet and the wall just to close the door.
    We requested they omit that door and the door to the walk in closet both of which are in the master bath area and add one door for the master bath.
    Otherwise from the bedroom one would look straight at the shower with a clear window and a clear glass shower door. Get rid of two nuisance doors and add one that makes sense.

* A friend of mine, some years ago had a custom designed house built. About two years later they discovered by accident that the toilets were plumbed with hot water.

* Yesterday we ripped out the carpet in two bathrooms and replaced it with vinyl flooring. As I was resetting the toilets I flipped them on the side to make sure they were clean. I discovered the builder, Centex who operated in several states, or their plumber contractor, or some flunky, had no clue how to install a wax ring. My guess is they used two or three wax rings. Instead of sticking the wax ring on the flange, they made a ring of wax around the base of the toilet. It's amazing there was no water or sewage on the floor. Actually it was clean and dry. Things must have line up perfectly, and must have been in close contact.

I wonder how licensed plumbers get buy with some of the things they do, and equally how the building inspectors either miss the mistakes or let them go.

I'm quite fond of the throne one
    I can't imagine toilets plumbed with hot water.. wow...

Personally I think these guys should win the plumber of the year award.

That video is just too funny.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I can't believe how much plumbers charge, at least in this area. It's not like they're the most highly skilled or knowledgeable tradesmen or anything.

(No offense intended to any plumbers in the audience.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    I can't imagine toilets plumbed with hot water..
    My In-laws' house in Northern Michigan was plumbed with shut-offs to the toilets. Cold in summer, Hot if it got too cold outside. A precaution.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    My In-laws' house in Northern Michigan was plumbed with shut-offs to the toilets. Cold in summer, Hot if it got too cold outside. A precaution.
    Plus, if mixed in the correct proportion, it can significantly reduce sweating of the tank (which cuts down on mold).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I can't imagine toilets plumbed with hot water.. wow...
    I managed to build an entire bathroom with the hot and cold water reversed. I didn't figure it out until the bathroom was 100% finished and realized the water in the toilet tank was hot.

What had happened was I had a house built with two bedrooms and a bathroom not finished when the house was built. The plumber had stubbed the water into the unfinished bathroom with valves in the warm part of the house. I started the project in the winter so I couldn't open the water valves to check which pipe was hot and which pipe was cold. I naturally assumed the left side coming into the bathroom was hot water and I was wrong. It took about half a day to get the required parts and fix the problem.
    Last edited by Brian Elfert; 03-02-2014 at 9:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Plus, if mixed in the correct proportion, it can significantly reduce sweating of the tank (which cuts down on mold).
    That actually makes some sense, although I wonder because it seems like the tank would settle to room temp eventually while sitting unless you flush a lot - do you basically try to normalize the inflow to room temp to avoid that?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    I can't believe how much plumbers charge, at least in this area. It's not like they're the most highly skilled or knowledgeable tradesmen or anything.
    If you saw how much we pay in license fees, insurance, continuing education, etc, I can keep going on you would understand. I guarantee most of the things in those pictures are homeowners, like you guys that installed that stuff. As a plumber you wouldn't believe the dumb stuff homeowners do.

Blog Entries
    I naturally assumed the right side coming into the bathroom was hot water and I was wrong.
    I always thought the cold was on the right. Well except in my mother in law's kitchen. She is left handed and insists that it be backwards.

It took about half a day to get the required parts and fix the problem.
    Every home project takes three trips to the hardware/home store.

First trip to pick up the parts and tools.

Second trip to pick up the RIGHT parts and tools.

Third trip to return all the stuff you didn't need.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I always thought the cold was on the right. Well except in my mother in law's kitchen. She is left handed and insists that it be backwards.
    I meant to say left side for the hot. I edited my post. It was the opposite of what most folks would expect. I really should have traced the pipes back as far as I could to verify which side was hot and which was cold.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Jim. I just knew this was gonna be good.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    it seems like the tank would settle to room temp eventually while sitting unless you flush a lot - do you basically try to normalize the inflow to room temp to avoid that?
    The tank does settle to room temp, but if you pour a lot of cold water into a ceramic canister with warm, high-humidty air surrounding it, it sweats. Think of how many times your toilet might get flushed when you have friends over, or a party. If you can get the water close to room temp to begin with (a bit too cold or a bit too warm is okay), significantly less sweating is involved.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5