Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to place pictures where I want them?

How to place pictures where I want them?

Can someone tell me how to use the "insert image" button (the postcard looking icon in the row just below the "font, size, color" windows, and above the large box in which we compose our posts)?

It seems there is a way of uploading pictures which will let one place images throughout the text, rather than grouped togeher at the end of the post. I thought it must be with the "insert images" button, but I get a window which asks me to type in the web address of the image, which would be my computer, so I don't know where to go with that.

I belong to another website powered by V-Bulletin, which is nearly identical to this format, but which, in addition to the "manage attachments" function, has an "image uploader" as an item in the dropdown menu under "quick links". It operates in the same way as the manage attachments button, but allows one to insert the images wherever in the text it is desired, rather than forcing them all to the end of the post. This is much better for posting works in progress, or step by step posts.

Is there a way of doing that on this site? Thanks in advance.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

That would definitely be a nice feature. I'm investigating something similar for articles.. shoot me a link to the forum you're referring to and I'll look into what hack they have installed.

_A_
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Aaron, here is a link to the website. They have another nice feature, when you have a private message the "private message" is in red, which catches your eye right away.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/

Thanks for looking into this.

Dan

-Woody Allen-

Glad you asked this question Dan. I've noticed that many people here are able to mix their pictures in with their text but I haven't been able to do it. Are you saying that I need to store my pics on another website and then provide a link to them in order to do this?
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Glad you asked this question Dan. I've noticed that many people here are able to mix their pictures in with their text but I haven't been able to do it. Are you saying that I need to store my pics on another website and then provide a link to them in order to do this?
    Looks that way. It's the difference between the 'insert image' button up on the message edit bar (which just inserts links with appropriate HTML wrappers) and the 'manage attachments' functionality.

We could probably combine the two if there was some way to generate a link to where the attachment file is saved on the SMC server, which may be how the other forum Dan refers to works. But then we'd need a way to suppress the "normal" display of image attachments down at the bottom of the message.
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 06-22-2005 at 9:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    Yes. In order to do in-line display you must have the pictures on aother site and accessable via direct http (web) access. The upside is you can display them inline. The downside is that if you take them down or the remote site goes away, the pics will no longer be in your posts. Pictures uploaded to SMC the "normal" way are retained in the database.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Question

hi yall,

i would like to know how you put your pic at top & tagline at the bottem of messages. or if i am alowed to do so yet.
    thanks
    Thomas

Thomas, your avitar and signature are added through the "User CP" link at the top of the forum pages. Once you click on that, there is a menu on the left side of the browser window to make these and other adjustments to your user profile.
    --

Thanks Jim

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    I guess a demonstration is in order:

First you type a few words and do this: then a few more words and do this: then again you might have something else to add and then of course this: and then this and Then you might want to add a larger picture: Then another smaller one:

or just put the words "IN" the picture

of course all of this is just magic:
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

I guess what Ken is saying is that if you learn a little html it isn't too hard to place inserts where you want them.(-; This worn out 85 year old managed it and i'm not too smart as most people know.
    What you do today determines what you can do tomorrow.

www.htmlgoodies.com is an excellent place to learn html...you'll soon see how simple it all really is!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

So, if I learn HTML, will I be able to upload pics from my computer and place them where I want them? Is the idea that I create my own website from which they can be displayed? I don't know enough about this to ask a more intelligent question.

Dan

-Woody Allen-

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Forman
    So, if I learn HTML, will I be able to upload pics from my computer and place them where I want them? Is the idea that I create my own website from which they can be displayed? I don't know enough about this to ask a more intelligent question.

Dan
    Dan,

You don't really have to know a thing about HTML

I probably confused you more than helped ya. I was just in a playful mode when I made my reply . Actually all the pics in my post are resident on my web site. You simply use the "insert image" code: [IMG] followed with url for the image. re: to insert the bud light bottle which is located on my web site as: ****://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/lilbud.gif (subtitute http for ****)

So to insert that pic the following steps are required:

1. Click "insert image" button
    2. Type in the following:****://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/lilbud.jpg (subtitute http for ****)
    3. Either click the "Close all Tags" button or type in [/IMG]

that will result in this:

You can insert any image you like as long as you know the location of the image on the web. It doesn't have to be on your web site - just out there in "cyber land"

I randomly picked an image of a Festool router from Jim Becker's web site to post as an example. The web address for that image is ****://sawsndust.com/images/reviews/OF1400EQPlus-cover.jpg

SO:

1. Click "insert image" button
    2. Type in the following:****://sawsndust.com/images/reviews/OF1400EQPlus-cover.jpg
    3. Either click the "Close all Tags" button or type in [/IMG]

Which results in this:

Just try it yourself in a test post, placing 1, 2,& 3 anywhere in the body of the text and that is where the image will appear. Do a "Preview Post" function to see if you did it right. No need to "Submit"
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 06-25-2005 at 9:01 AM.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

If you run SMC is "WYSIWYG" mode, you can just click the image button, insert the URL for the picture and click once to insert it. No need to muck about with IMG tags and the like.
    --