Thread: Carter quick release bandsaw problems

Carter quick release bandsaw problems

I have a Carter quick release on my Powermatic 14" bandsaw which is roughly five years old. Recently I have become unable to turn the knob on top that allows for tension adjustment depending on what size blade you are using. It doesn't turn; seems jammed. I've read something about a weld breaking on these… Anyone have an idea on what is the way forward here? Thank you in advance. ​

I had a similar problem on my Delta 14" BS equipped with a carter quick release. I believe the construction of the PM is nearly the same as the Jet or Delta. It is most likely the nut or the threaded rod in the tension adjust assembly. I thought the threads had galled or stripped, but all they needed were a good cleaning. Disassembly isn't too much work and it may be an easy fix. I used graphite during reassembly and it worked fine. At worst case the nut or rod might need to be replaced. I believe there are after market tensioning rod/nuts available with an Acme thread that make adjusting smoother.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 02-25-2014 at 11:46 AM.
    Dick Mahany.

I just had my carter mechanism on my powermatic 14" (7 years old) apart to replace something a few months ago:

Disassembly is very easy and carter tech support was helpful and knowledgeable on the phone. I called them, described my problem and they told me what it probably was over the phone. Took it apart and they were right, ordered parts online to fix (just google your model number and "parts" and they should come up in the diagrams). You can probably buy right from carter too. Powermatic tech support was friendly and helpful but didn't seem overly knowledgeable about the carter mechanism on the phone.

I had stripped the threads on my rod (with the hand knob on the top) and that part was $18 or something. Instead of buying that I just replaced it with the correct equivalent threaded rod (I think it was 3/8" coarse if I remember right) so that if it ever happens again I can replace it with local parts. I would have to use a wrench to adjust it now but since I always leave the same blade on it/same setting that didn't bother me.

Powermatic has a 5 year warranty on that bandsaw I think so if you are under the cutoff call them first and you can probably get the part sent for free.

Here's a link to carter's description of installing the mechanism: http://www.carterproducts.com/media/.../QR_Manual.pdf

If you haven't already, this is the easiest chance you'll ever have to upgrade the spring to one of the stronger ones if you want to use 3/4" blades with it.

If you can't turn the knob on the top of the tension rod the threads are probably caked with saw dust, or in a worst case stripped. You can replace it with a threaded rod (3/8-16) like Andy did or with a new tension rod and nut. Should be pretty easy.
    Engineer, Carter Products.

I appreciate the responses. Going to disassemble and take a look at the hardware underneath. I'll give an update on what I find, hopefully it is as simple as the threaded rod and I will replace with 3/8-16. Very helpful again thank you Dick, Andy and Jeff.

The nut seemed simply stuck on the rod due to caked sawdust. The rod isn't 100% anymore but with some cleaning and graphite spray the knob turns as good as new for now at least. Thanks again.

Gave me a chance to reset my bearings and tighten the hex screw down below on the upper belt wheel behind lower bandsaw wheel. It loosens once every so often and the wheel begins to "slip" a little on each rotation. Makes the bandsaw a whole lot louder and can't be good over time. It's purring nice and smooth now.

Glad you got it fixed..........now go have some fun!
    Dick Mahany.