Thread: Delta band saw riser kit installation instructions

Redding, CT (just south of Danbury on Rt. 7)

Delta band saw riser kit installation instructions

I just purchased the riser kit for my 14-inch Delta 28-203 band saw - the model number for the kit is: 28-984. It came without instructions and I could sure use some. Can anyone help me out?
    Thanks!!!

Bob
    Last edited by Bill Huber; 02-11-2015 at 5:31 PM. Reason: removed email address

That riser block kit is virtually identical to the Jet/Powermatic kit. These instructions should work.

http://content.wmhtoolgroup.com/asse...217_man_EN.pdf

Be sure and scrape all the paint off the mating surfaces where riser meets saw castings.

PDF sent. Have fun! +1 on what Bruce said.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 02-25-2014 at 9:35 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

I have the instructions and it seemed to be very simple job until I removed the bolt holding the top casting to the bottom casting. Man those alignment pins are doing their job! Any recommends on separating the two???

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Welsh View Post
    I have the instructions and it seemed to be very simple job until I removed the bolt holding the top casting to the bottom casting. Man those alignment pins are doing their job! Any recommends on separating the two???
    Use a bigger hammer. As I recall when I did mine they were stuck together with paint. I pounded a sharp paint scraper into the joint to pop them apart.

2x4 is your friend

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    2x4 is your friend
    How so? As a lever? If so can you describe? Or maybe you just mean as a weapon of destruction?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Welsh View Post
    How so? As a lever? If so can you describe? Or maybe you just mean as a weapon of destruction?
    You don't want to hit bear cast iron with a steel hammer, it could shatter. If you have a rubber mallet best to use that and a 2/4 against the casting you are going to hit.

Thanks everyone, I got it off. I took an old 1" stiff paint scraper and got some separation between the castings then pounded wooden door shims between, on opposite sides. Worked like a charm.

When you get the riser install make sure you really, really torque the bolt that holds everything together very well. You want to put a lot more torque on it than is required to just hold the saw together. That bolt also is what resists the tension load from the spring and if you don't torque it well enough the frame will deflect quite a lot under high spring force. You want to put about as much torque as you are capable of (or at least as I'm capable of at 60 years old and 175 lbs) on it.

John

Instructions? We don't need no stinkin instructions.
    Take a bolt out.
    disconnect top from bottom.
    Install the block and top.
    Put the long bolt in.

Not really hard, is it?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night