Thread: Chamfered edges?

Chamfered edges?

Shortly to be getting a Trotec Speedy 300, and I was just curious as to whether there is a technique for cutting chamfered edges on a piece of cast acrylic? What I'm referring to for example is, if cutting a rectangle, instead of a 'straight down' cut, when the rectangle has been made, possibly returning it to the machine in some kind of jig and angling the piece to be cut by perhaps lifting one side off the table at a time and cutting it again to add a chamfer to the edge. I hope that makes sense... Does anyone do anything similar? Is there a standard technique, or is it an additional process? I would only want to apply this to straight edges of course.

Cheers, Steve

How thick of material are we addressing 1/16" or 1/2"

Simple answer is no.... but this subject resurfaces every so often

check out this link to the last discussion on the subject: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ith-Corel-draw

or this one http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...5-degree-bevel

Not sure what the cover clearance is on the 300 to the table. Mine is around 6" sloping to 5" so the largest item I could fit into a 45* fixture is 7"
    with 1.5" lens.

Last edited by Mark Sipes; 02-22-2014 at 9:31 PM.
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

The simple answer is yes you just have to jig the pice so it is on an angle, I do this for some parts.

OK I'm wrong again... It's very easy to cut chamfers in acrylic on a laser. I find it simpler to use a mechanical router to make custom bevels up to 1/4 inch but then my laser won't cut through 3/4" material. I guess we all adapt to the technology and processes we find work the best for us.

Thanks.

Jerome, Can you show us a version of your jig and the precision of alignment. That would be very helpful. Maybe I could learn from this one.
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

The laser is not the best tool for the job. A router is better, faster and more versatile.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I'm with Mike on this one, a laser is the wrong tool, a router with a quick sand and flame polish works much better. Also remember when cutting a chamfer or angle the thickness you are cutting through changes by quite a bit.

Some Chinese machines come with an adjustable angle head but being honest it's more gimmik than useful.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !