Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what do you do with your shavings?

what do you do with your shavings?

I'm looking at this pile of shavings as I'm about to start the bbq pit and wondering if I should use them. I've recently turned some cherry and some maple, both of which I've seen used in smoking.

I also thought about someone I know that has chickens and might appreciate some bedding.

I guess a better question is, which woods aren't safe to use for other things like bedding or BBQ'ing?

Pet and livestock bedding is an application for almost anything but walnut. Walnut shavings/dust can and will often kill vegetation so don't mulch with it either. Any shavings except for cedar and such should never be used for flower beds close to a wood structure, because of the possibility of termites.

Any fruit wood, hickory, mesquite, pecan and such are great for smoking meat. When I get my hands on mesquite I will clean the shop up around the lathe, turn the bowl of whatever and save all the mesquite shavings for smoking ribs later!!

If all the trees in the yard (I live in the country) are fairly mulched, I just shatter the shavings throughout my 5 acre yard and call it good.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Most usually goes in the garden trash recycling cart for collection, unless someone in the family wants some for mulch or whatever. I don't turn walnut or cedar.

I have a trail through the wooded area of my acreage covered with rough-turning shavings.

The shavings are put around all my trees and plants in the yard. (Not against the house for the afore mentioned reasons). They break down a bit quicker than pine bark mulch so I can keep all the beds mulched in rotation.

The dust from the DC goes into the compost pile.

it all goes into my green recycle container
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

As mulch don't get it near any building, rain splashing on the untreated shavings will get on the siding and leaves a nasty and imposable to remove stain.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

We have an area in town where yard waste can be dumped and it is mulched. when I get 3 or 4 garbage bags full I take it over there and dump it.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

If they're really dry just load them in the back of the truck and drive around for the day - won't be there by the time you get home.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ashton View Post
    If they're really dry just load them in the back of the truck and drive around for the day - won't be there by the time you get home.
    <chuckle> Somewhat like putting junk outside with a $1,000 pricetag on it but no one around to watch it. It will magically disappear by the end of the day.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Makes great mulch for horse paddock as long as you don't turn walnut!. Red cedar is really good for around the base of trees, stops just about anything else from growing there.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

I have some raised vegetable beds well away from the house. I dump shavings around them and along the chain link fence. Except Oak which I keep for starting fires in the 'pig pit'. Never turned Mesquite, so that would be saved like Scott said. I mostly turn walnut, maple, and cherry.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

mulch pile in the woods

I just dump mine behind my shop. About once a year, I spread them with my front end loader.
    Joe

Just wish I HAD a front end loader!!!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .