Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trotec Speedy 300

Trotec Speedy 300

Hello all, this is my first posting.
    I'm on the verge of placing an order for a Trotec Speedy 300, and would like to hear experiences of owners, both good and bad of the company and equipment before I do. I'm based in the UK and will be mostly working with wood and acrylic.

many thanks, Steve

Steve,

Welcome to SawMill Creek.

You will find a large group of Trotec owners here. My sign company owns a Trotec Speedy 300 80 watt machine that is a real work horse. I'm sure you will find Trotec to be a solid partner with excellent tech support. About three years ago I was looking for a new laser engraver and based on the advice I received here I decided to purchase my Speedy 300 and I couldn't be happier with my machine. Trotec provides great hardware coupled with the best software I have ever used and their software upgrades are always impressive.

The Speedy 300 is fast.....much faster than the numbers suggest so it takes a lot of work to keep them busy.

Hi Steve,

Engraving or cutting or a bit of both?

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

I'm in my 7th year with zero parts outlay and only one day of lost time. Besides being the best design and best construction I've found it is the fastest machine on the market.

That is the rub. When I bought mine the 45 watt version was the extent of my budget. (45's were more expensive then than 80's are today) But the machine speed can't be utilized on many materials, wood being a good example, unless you have matching power. I would advise stretching yourself as far as you can power wise. Go to an 80 watt if it's at all possible.

Even if you can't the 60 watt is still a heavy duty production machine.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 02-22-2014 at 8:31 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Hi guys,

that all sounds like really good news. To answer the questions I've been asked... I'm planning to invest in an 80 watt unit with an Atmos Mono Plus extraction system and a rotary attachment for doing trophies and glassware. I intend to do lots of cutting as well as engraving, particularly wood and Perspex materials, but will just have to see what other jobs come along. I'm very interested in producing things like toys and architectural models for visualisation as well as templates in MDF for other artists. I expect to get work producing signs and things like bespoke packaging and the like. I was very impressed when I had a look-see at Trotec early last week for a couple of hours.

Cheers, Steve

I'm very interested in producing things like toys
    Oh dear

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Welcome to the Creek, Steve! I've been using lasers since 2007, so this is my 7th year. As a machinist that made and built a lot of high speed machines in my previous career, I can tell you that hands down, the Speedy 300 is the most well built machine in the industry. The mechanical engineering side of the machine is just in a league of it's own. The Universals are really well built, but the Trotec Speedy 300 really is rock solid. Personally, I think the 300 is the best machine in their line up. It's just been around so long now that it's really refined in it's design.

From the quality of build issue, I don't think you'll find anything that beats it.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    Oh dear

cheers

Dave
    Lol... Please elaborate Dave

cheers, Steve

You are in the UK Steve?

Toy Regulations are my daily nightmare and the biggest single conformance running expense I have.

https://www.gov.uk/toy-manufacturers...sponsibilities

3 products cost me £40k in paperwork to get running properly and fully compliant. (none of mine are designed for under 36 months age bracket) Close to 1,000 pages of paperwork and files as well as external safety testing.

One of the hardest to get compliance is doll houses....I just gave up with them in the end.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

I have a Trotec Rayjet with 80 watts. Have had the machine for 19 months, it is a workhorse.
    Excellent choice and welcome.

Robert
    Robert Tepper
    Trotec Rayjet 300/80 Watt
    Dahlgren 500 Engraving Machine, CNC Engraving Machine
    Pad printer with 5 3/4 x 5 3/4" print area
    Jackson Vulcanizers, 15 x 24", three total
    Hegner Scroll Saws, 14", three total

Thanks for the heads up Dave. I am indeed in the UK. I might have to rethink that then, however it didn't really mean toys for children, I had something entirely different in mind... But I'll still have to tread carefully. Thanks again for the reality check.

Cheers, Steve

Blog Entries
    Steve,

Trying to talk Dave Sheldrake into moving out here to Seattle.....apparently, what I thought was regulatory heck for most things is really the wild west compared to the UK. Maybe you could go in on a moving barge with him and save a bit?? <grin>

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post
    Trying to talk Dave Sheldrake into moving out here to Seattle...
    I'll tell him to stop by for a beer on his way moving to the D.C./Balto area
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I am moving but only 170 miles not 3,500

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Blog Entries
    What's an extra 3,300 miles between friends...?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5