Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A pair of roubo style workbench builds

A pair of roubo style workbench builds

Fellow SMC and NCWW member Maurice Ungaro and I have been talking for over a year about building a couple of Roubo style workbenches, and recently we decided to move forward with on our plans. The project really started back in 2008 when I was contacted by a homeowner who lived in an old neighborhood in downtown Monroe, NC. He had a massive old red oak tree in his front yard that had been struck by lightning and was starting to die. Rather than see the tree go to a landfill, he contacted me to enquire if I was interested in the log (I was). Here is the photo that he sent me of his tree:

Monroe_tree1_b.jpg

The trunk produced a log that had a small end diameter of 54”, a length of 16’ and a large end diameter of almost 72”. The log weighed over 20,000 lbs, and contained some spectacular quartersawn lumber such as these 16” wide examples:

16 inch qsro veneer 3C.jpg

I coordinated with the tree removal company, and a crane was used to load the log onto my trailer, and a second crane was used to unload it back at the farm. Here it sat waiting for an appropriate opportunity.

Scott_monroe_log_2.jpg

In 2011 a gathering of local SMC and NCWoodworker members met at my farm for an event where we slabbed a 14” thick, 48” wide and 6’ long quartersawn red oak piece into some workbench slabs. This event was hosted by myself and SMC member David Nelson. SMC member David Kuzdrall made a spectacular coffee table from one of the slabs which is documented somewhere in previous posts. As part of the slabbing event, we used a crane to set the Monroe log up in the sawmill for future milling.

Picking the log (c).jpg

setting the log (c).jpg

Shortly thereafter I was able to schedule some time to mill the log, producing several wide, 16/4 quartersawn red oak slabs. The slabs averaged 20” wide and 13’7” long.

Milling (c).jpg

After a few years of air drying, a couple of months ago I measured the moisture content and it was below 20% so I slipped the slabs into the kiln to bring them down below 10% as well as to sterilize them.

Yesterday Maurice stopped by the shop and we sorted through the slabs, setting aside one for him (with an alternate) and a couple of bookmatched ones for me. In a couple of weeks we will start the process to surface the slabs and joint two of them together to make the bench tops. We will trim off the punky sapwood and most likely end up with some benches with tops that are in the 24” – 26” wide range. Maurice is planning a bench around 6’6” long, and I am planning to build a 12 footer.

Scott and slabs (c).jpg

Maurice and slabs (c).jpg

Maurice is more of a Neanderthal, and I’m an equipment junky, so the build ought to be interesting by combining our respective methods. The raw slabs weigh around 300 lbs each, so it will be fun to see just how far Maurice wants to take this neander business! As we progress with our builds, I’ll post updates to the thread.
    Last edited by Scott T Smith; 02-19-2014 at 8:36 PM.

About 14 years ago before I owned my mills I arranged for a local sawyer to cut some oak trees from my farm into large beams. Several months ago I surfaced a few 10” x 10” beams to use for support posts for my bench. Note the quarter in the photo!

Leg material (c).jpg

The stretchers will most likely be made from some 4” x 10” beams that I had sawn at the same time. Maurice will probably make his bench legs from some of the same 4 x 10’s.

More to come!

Scott,
    Thanks for getting this started - both the thread and the build! This is going to be a fun project(s), with no shortage of character building experiences coming out of the process. We'll see how Neander I get with mine, as you DO have some intoxicating machinery to press into service.....
    Maurice

Looking forward to this. Wow that grain is really pretty. Are u able to build green because these are qs?

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Looking forward to this. Wow that grain is really pretty. Are u able to build green because these are qs?
    Prashun, all of the wood is dry. The slabs were milled in early 2011, and by late 2013 had air dried down to 16% MC. I finished them off by putting them in one of my kilns for 2 weeks.

Because they have been stored in an non-climate controlled environment, the stretchers will probably be around 14% MC, but the legs are in the shop and below 10%.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Ungaro View Post
    Scott,
    Thanks for getting this started - both the thread and the build! This is going to be a fun project(s), with no shortage of character building experiences coming out of the process. We'll see how Neander I get with mine, as you DO have some intoxicating machinery to press into service.....
    Well, I DID notice that you did not grumble about my using a forklift to move those 300lb slabs around....

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    Well, I DID notice that you did not grumble about my using a forklift to move those 300lb slabs around....
    Well....I'm not the gym rat I used to be!
    Maurice

Scott thanks for posting those pictures, they pretty much define most of my lumber related cravings. You seem to have mastered the drying process, from the pictures it looks like your slabs are defect free. The bench tops are sure to be beautiful, can't wait to see them!

Maurice and Scott. WOW! I'm salivating. Wish I could be involved in something like that. This is gonna be cool. Can't wait to see the progress. I'm just a bit jealous.

Lovely stuff, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Armstrong View Post
    Maurice and Scott. WOW! I'm salivating. Wish I could be involved in something like that. This is gonna be cool. Can't wait to see the progress. I'm just a bit jealous.
    Cody, after reading about your bench build, I don't think that you have anything to be jealous about!

Maurice and I finally got a chance to get together to start working on the benches. Today we worked on Maurice's bench, starting out by cutting the 13'6" slab into two smaller slabs, face jointing and planing the slab, determining the "show" sides, and we "attempted" to straight line rip them but ran out of time and HP! Maurice is planning on a 6-1/2' x 24" bench, and is still deciding on weather to go with a split top Benchcrafted design or a traditional Roubo.

Here are some pix from the endeavor:

Maurice with my 16-5/8" Makita Beam Saw

Maurice with Makita beam saw (c).jpg

Maurice using the beam saw to cut some spalted sapwood off of the edge of his 4-1/4" thick slab:

Trimming the slab (c).jpg

Second pass through the Jointer - planer. Final thickness is 3-5/8"

Surfacing the slab (c).jpg

Getting ready to run the slab through the straight line ripsaw (but we ran into some challenges.... the 15 hp motor lacked enough "oomph" to do the job...

Straight line ripping (c).jpg

Maurice and his surfaced slabs. We liked this orientation the best as they exhibited some nice QS fleck and also some great character.

Maurice and surfaced slabs (c).jpg

More to come in a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    using the beam saw to cut some spalted sapwood off of the edge of his 4-1/4" thick slab:

Trimming the slab (c).jpg.
    Mammoth project but be safe guys - thats a scary picture. Looking forward to progress though.

Pat,
    Trust me - it's safety first, every time! Scott, thanks for taking the time yesterday - hopefully, the Mattison will behave next time!
    Maurice

Blog Entries
    How are you guys making out with this project? Looks incredible.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.