Thread: Printer for labels

Printer for labels

So this may be just a bit off topic but I know many of you guys do printing etc. In my coffee roasting business, I bought 3x4 labels from Advancedlabelsnw. They did a great job. But I do some small runs of coffee and like to make a label that is custom for that. I have been printing them on my normal printer but getting everything lined up etc. can be tough. What label printer do you guys recommend that is full color and won't completely break my poor little bank account? Will not be printing more than 50 or so per week. Thanks.
    David

Just use your home printer, buy Avery labels, and use their templates to make sure everything lines up. I doubt there is a better option.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

I bought labels from laser inkjet labels place. They are great but the template doesn't line up well.
    David

Avery would be the way to go in my opinion. Either a Color Laser or Color Inkjet...

Most word programs have the 4 digit number for the blanks...

But if you wanted to make a custom Page in Corel Draw... Do it like we did multi carbon copy Military Evaluations in the late 80's.

Make a document and do 12345678901234567890 all the way from left to right.... and top to bottom.... 1 return 2 return 3 return...

Print this... on a Avery Blank.

Now use the hard copy with the 123 numbers and move grid lines to the edge of ALL Blocks....

Make that a master... Make a new file and start entering data.... Remember that "Find and Replace is your friend... If you had a sheet of stickers that said BadAzzRoast and you wanted to change every sticker to the same name you use the find and replace command and do it in seconds...

Doing in corel you could do less than a full sheet... Delete the un wanted stickers.... or already printed stickers.... call me FrugAL....

Good Luck,

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Even Word has most of the Avery templates already in the system.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I used labels from a company. They have Inkscape to download on their site. Then you download their template and put it on a layer and lock it. Problem is it's not right. I have to cut the end of the sheet off to get it close. Maybe it's my printer....Thanks for the answers.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Warkentin View Post
    I used labels from a company. They have Inkscape to download on their site. Then you download their template and put it on a layer and lock it. Problem is it's not right. I have to cut the end of the sheet off to get it close. Maybe it's my printer....Thanks for the answers.
    Okay, don't buy labels from "a company" and buy them from Avery. People have been successfully printing Avery labels on home printers for years now. It's about as easy as you can get.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Ok. That makes sense. I have been using glossy labels and didn't know if Avery had them. I'll look a bit. Does anybody here use a label printer though?

The company was laserinkjetlabels. They have lots of labels and I imagine they are a reputable company.

Quote Originally Posted by David Warkentin View Post
    The company was laserinkjetlabels. They have lots of labels and I imagine they are a reputable company.
    Maybe contact the outfit and tell them the template isn't lining up.

Also, while experimenting and making adjustments, just print on regular paper and use a ruler to determine whether they'd work on real label stock. That way you aren't burning expensive label stock.

I use 3m address labels to print address labels with my address on each label, it took a lot of typing to set -up BUT WORD got a short-up now that enable a block of type to be move