Thread: To get a new tool, you have to look terrible

To get a new tool, you have to look terrible

If you've been keeping up on the posts, I tried Waterlox for the first time recently. Followed the directions for cross ventilation, closed vents, even the returns, put a 24" box fan into the garage from my basement, opened the garage door, etc. Used a half mask with organic filters but the odor was so bad that LOML put the hammer on using it for the rest of the project. I developed asthma so bad I've been sleeping sitting up on the couch for the last 6 nights, used up all my meds by Presidents day. The hospital was closed because of Presidents Day so I ended up in the ER. On the way back, LOML said I looked so bad she remarked: "you've been talking about going to a lithium ion system over the old Dewalt system you used at a recent project...why don't you get that kit...it'll make you feel better." Home Depot wasn't exactly on the way home from the ER, but I found a road that got me there, and they had one 18v Fuel, 1/4" drill/drive kit left. It's now mine. LESSON: If you wan't to get a new tool, you have to look terrible.
    Last edited by Don Morris; 02-18-2014 at 8:55 PM. Reason: Removed implied profanity.

Hey, sorry about your illness. Hope you recover fully and soon. Your wife is a treasure.

The hospital was closed on Presidents Day? Glad I don't in NOVA!

What Waterlox were you using? The VOC free version or the old style?

"it'll make you feel better."

the question is did the lithium make you feel better?

just purchasing tools makes me happy
    Carpe Lignum

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Mack View Post
    Hey, sorry about your illness. Hope you recover fully and soon. Your wife is a treasure.
    I've been lucky enough to meet Don and Marjorie. She is very nice. He is too.

Hope you're feeling better Don.

PHM

These hardening finishes all outgas as the polymers cross link during curing.

In short - they stink.
    I finish with Waterlox in better weather, out in my garage.

I can open several windows for ventilation, and keep the smell out of the house.

There's a reason spray booths have big fans, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Morris View Post
    LESSON: If you wan't to get a new tool, you have to look terrible.
    Glad you are okay. As for me, I've looked terrible for a long time, LOML has simply gotten used to it............no new tools for me .
    Dick Mahany.

NO WAY to top that story, just best wishes for full recovery!

Regards,

Marty
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" - anon

I'm retired military, and President's Day is a Fed Holiday for Walter Reed National Military Hospital. All the clinics were closed, that's why I ended up in their E.R.