Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Universal Introducing the "Next BIG Thing in Laser Processing"?

My guess is a bigger table. I don't see any software side of things as being labeled as "BIG" in their advertising, but I could be wrong.

Universal is a big laser company and they have their irons in so many fires, it's hard to guess. They've been doing a lot of work in the ease of use area of the software, but I'm not sure what they could do to be announcing a big new development in that area.

I'm voting it's a larger table machine.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I have a feeling it's going to be overhyped or something already available just not from ULS such as a Galvo unit or say 2m x 1m bed sizes.

What may appear big for ULS may not be on the radar for industrial lasers. Overhype tends to lead to big furrors about things that aren't really that great based on the willingness for people to repeat what they perceive as *big* news.

Take HPDFO for example, well known as available from ULS but based on technology that has been around for many years and achievable for about 1/10th of the cost.

I have a gut feeling it's all going to be rather a let down.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    I have a feeling it's going to be overhyped or something already available just not from ULS such as a Galvo unit or say 2m x 1m bed sizes.

What may appear big for ULS may not be on the radar for industrial lasers. Overhype tends to lead to big furrors about things that aren't really that great based on the willingness for people to repeat what they perceive as *big* news.

Take HPDFO for example, well known as available from ULS but based on technology that has been around for many years and achievable for about 1/10th of the cost.

I have a gut feeling it's all going to be rather a let down.

cheers

Dave
    Could be. I thought Universal had been making galvo heads for a long time. However, in searching their website for Galvo, I can't get anything. I don't know, I don't see people moving to the Galvo market. I've asked about it a number of times and I've never once heard any laser company say "We're working hard on Galvo's". It seems like some people offer them, but no one's excited to sell them. I called my sales rep about a year ago and told him I wanted to see one. He told me in 5 states, he had 1 customer that had one and we could go see it, but it was in an industrial application, marking parts, so it wouldn't be much to see.

If that's the market penetration of them, I'd be really surprised if anyone is trying to bring galvos to the mainstream. Should be interesting!
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Galvo's have dropped a lot in price of the last year and are now at the "second machine" kind of price, China is doing more and more of them so it's possible I guess.

Really big news was if they had an adjustable wavelength system, and while technically possible it would be firmly in the big industrial machine price range. The problem I can see with the smaller laser companies (ULS/Trotech/Epilog etc) is as prices for advances of theirs force machine cost up thy are fast approaching the small industrial machine price without many of the benefits. Yamazaki do lease industrials now as do many others at $3,000 a month so it's a hard price point to meet.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Blog Entries
    Oh you guys! Taking all the fun out of the hype! Where is your sense of hope and expectation!!!! ULS did use all caps in the word BIG in their email after all! They wouldn't let us down after that would they??? <grin>

I tell you. A Petawatt hobby laser!! Won't you all feel sheepish when the first Sawmillcreeker reports back from ARA on that!!!

Have a great weekend everyone!! Cheers!

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hillmann View Post
    I bet it will be an on/off switch on the front of the machine rather than on the back so you will no longer have to be a contortionist to reach it.
    Hah!
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

How about a gantry mounted Galvo/standard head Hybrid? Switch between Galvo head or standard head!
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

I wonder if I can find out if I take a ride over to their plant. Tell Them I'm interested in their newest and biggest. I'm like a 30 min bike ride from Universal Laser, been by their many times never stopped cause I know I can't afford one but hey they don't know that right. LOL
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander