Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Universal Introducing the "Next BIG Thing in Laser Processing"?

Universal Introducing the "Next BIG Thing in Laser Processing"?

I just received a Universal e-mail blast with the headline "Something BIG is on the Horizon" and will be announced at the ARA International Awards Market next week. Anyone care to speculate what it is? (Hint: Reps, tell us what it is!)

Blog Entries
    I got it too! Pretty exciting! I think it is their new Petawatt CO2 Hobby Laser! Yehaaaaaaa! <grin>

Anxious to hear the details! Anyone going to Las Vegas for the big event? (not me....busy....aside from the fact I can't stand Vegas)
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Hmmm, just when I thought I could finally settle on an Epilog for my first laser. I hope this (new product?) is out of my budget. Indecision is killing me.

Weston if this is "The Big Thing" you will settle on an Epilog

Photo courtesy of Universal Laser Systems. The new Multi-Wavelength laser from Universal Laser Systems, Scottsdale, AZ, features both fiber and CO2 laser technology.

Universal Laser Systems is also rolling out a Multi-Wavelength laser platform designed to accept three separate, interchangeable wavelength sources: a fiber laser source (1.06µm wavelength) that is well-suited for marking most metals; a CO2 laser source (10.6µm wavelength) with the same energy produced by most standard CO2 lasers and is suitable for engraving materials such as wood, glass, acrylic, anodized aluminum and fabric; and a second CO2 laser source (9.3µm wavelength) which is applicable for efficiently processing a number of organic materials such as polyethylene terephthalate (PET), a plastic resin and a form of polyester used to manufacture many new products. “I think this is where the market is headed: giving engravers more choices and opportunities in a single machine,” says Hays. James Hays, Marketing and Technical Writer for Universal Laser Systems, Scottsdale, AZ.
    Last edited by Mark Sipes; 02-18-2014 at 3:05 PM.
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Blog Entries
    Can't be it, Mark... that was rolled out last year (or was it the year before?).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Dang it your right I should have looked at the date on my Engravers Journal....

So David's guess that the 1.25+ Petawatt CO2 Hobby Laser! is still in the running. Just hope he has a chiller the size of Renton to keep it cool,
    Last edited by Mark Sipes; 02-18-2014 at 4:50 PM.
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)

I also heard about this today from a ULS rep while on the phone with him. He couldn't tell me what it was, either.

I am braving the hoards and am going to the ARA show in vegas, hoping to get a good handle on the different products out there, and with any luck and some hard work, I may walk away with an purchase agreement for a laser. We'll see
    Last edited by Don Corbeil; 02-18-2014 at 5:45 PM.

Buy the Demo unit and they will ship to you at the end of the show.........you could be up and running in a week..
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sipes View Post
    Buy the Demo unit and they will ship to you at the end of the show.........you could be up and running in a week..
    like that idea!
    better than a couple of months...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corbeil View Post
    like that idea!
    better than a couple of months...
    I used to be with a company that made it a habit of just buying out the complete booth of a manuf. at a number of trade shows every year. As a result they usually got a fantastic deal. The manuf. in question, just pulled everything out of their cabinets and display units, and we packed everything up for shipment back to our shop..They saved a bunch, we saved a bunch. So, buying the display units will always get you a good deal. Just from the fact the manuf. doesn't have to pack it up and take it home..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

I'm hearing Galvos.....
    You did what !

Hmmmm I suppose I can wait another week or so....

BTW does the 50% retail price for used CO2 laser apply like it does to our other cast iron acquisitions?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Rocker View Post
    Hmmmm I suppose I can wait another week or so....

BTW does the 50% retail price for used CO2 laser apply like it does to our other cast iron acquisitions?
    No... 10, maybe 20% off, if you're a good boy.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Blog Entries
    Well, ULS sent me 2, countem, 2 more notices today about something BIG coming at ARA!! The hype has me positively vibrating!!

You folks who are going to Vegas....be sure you tell us what it is as soon as you hear!!!
    Will it be the Petawatt Hobby Laser I speculated about?
    Or the new combo Laser Cutter/Laser Engraver/Laser Hair Removal system to further expand our business ranges?
    Or the new 5 axis CNC that uses a laser head instead of a router!!!

All so exciting!!! I am all aquiver!!

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

I bet it will be an on/off switch on the front of the machine rather than on the back so you will no longer have to be a contortionist to reach it.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin