Thread: Any Ideas for Deep Engraving Steel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Any Ideas for Deep Engraving Steel

Morning Guys!

My question today. Are their any good specific setting for Deep Engraving Steel? A Customer is looking for a .001-.002 Deep Engraving any Ideas are greatly appreciated!
    Eddie Castaneda
    Wire-Tech, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300 flexx 60W CO2 Laser/30W Fiber Laser
    EngraveLab 9.0
    CorelDraw X6

That's not deep at all. Any rotary/mechanical engraver could achieve that depth.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Ross they want to Attempt doing this with a Laser
    Eddie Castaneda
    Wire-Tech, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300 flexx 60W CO2 Laser/30W Fiber Laser
    EngraveLab 9.0
    CorelDraw X6

Although fiber is fully capable of etching into metal, you won't be able to do that efficiently with a gantry machine, you really need a galvo. This is info from Trotec as well as other manufacturers. Same thing with anodized aluminum, you can mark it with a gantry fiber but a galvo leaves a much better mark and in much less time.

Blog Entries
    Eddie,

Try 100P @ 30kHz, 200mm/sec. Expect to take about 100 passes.

As you can see, this is extremely slow... but possible if it's a one-off.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Only 100 passes....are you sure he won't need 101 ;0....Wouldn't a YAG do it fairly easily? Going back to my days working the USAF jet engine depot's, we had 2 laser that did nothing but engrave the tool box number on every tool in CTK. I know they weren't CO2 but not sure what they were......

Bryan

Looks like you will need to find a shop like NLE

http://www.northeastlaser.com/Deep_Laser_Engraving.html

http://www.laserphotonics.com/app/deepeng.php

Maybe these local guys. sites does not say what type laser they have http://quentin-laser.com/store/specials.php
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

I would say Dans settings are pretty much spot on, its where i would start, maybe a bit lower on the frequency as 25khz is normally peak power on most pulsed fiber lasers, Normally a cross hatched fill pattern helps but that's not going to be an option for you. Multiple passes is all you can do, each pass will go in a small distance, this multiplied will give you the final depth you need. Focus is critical, get it right, you should see sparks flying up, sparks = material being removed, more sparks more material going. You dont need anything to deep so it should be achievable, be aware you will be dumping lots of heat into the metal, if its this sheet or small it can cause bending, clamping the material can help reduce this effect.
    Good luck
    L Squared Lasers UK
    2 x Halo Lasers 20 watt fiber
    1 x Halo CO2 Galvo System
    1 x Shenhui 1512 80 watt
    3 x Electrox D40
    3 x electrox Scriba 2
    1 x Electrox Scorpion 40 watt Fibre
    1 x Epilog EXT36 75 watt.

Blog Entries
    I am asking this as a curious pre-nubie, laserless lurker on the forum. If you are generating that much heat in the metal should you also be watching the unit carefully for fire? Not from the metal itself obviously, but rather from any organic material that may have accumulated on the honeycomb or solid table under the metal? Is there any concern for heat buildup affecting the lens, especially if the focal length is short?
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post
    I am asking this as a curious pre-nubie, laserless lurker on the forum. If you are generating that much heat in the metal should you also be watching the unit carefully for fire? Not from the metal itself obviously, but rather from any organic material that may have accumulated on the honeycomb or solid table under the metal? Is there any concern for heat buildup affecting the lens, especially if the focal length is short?
    Not really, there should be nothing in the area that can catch fire, you wouldnt use a honeycomb table as there is no real advantage, we use a 1/3 inch tooling plate made of aluminium and the bits just go straight on that. Obviously if you had a bit of wood under it then you might have problems, Ive tried starting a fire with a yag and its hard work, the best i managed was to spray copious amount of 'brake & clutch' cleaner into a metal bowl the laser the bottom, that went up in flames. Co2 on the other hand is just the right wavelength to set fire to pretty much everything the burns, if i had to guess a percentage i would think a yag is about 100 times less likely to give you a fire situation!!!
    L Squared Lasers UK
    2 x Halo Lasers 20 watt fiber
    1 x Halo CO2 Galvo System
    1 x Shenhui 1512 80 watt
    3 x Electrox D40
    3 x electrox Scriba 2
    1 x Electrox Scorpion 40 watt Fibre
    1 x Epilog EXT36 75 watt.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Matthew!

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew knott View Post
    Co2 on the other hand is just the right wavelength to set fire to pretty much everything the burns, if i had to guess a percentage i would think a yag is about 100 times less likely to give you a fire situation!!!
    To expand upon this... CO2 wavelengths are perfect for most organics. Organics are easily combustible. Organics flame up with CO2 wavelengths. Q.E.D.

CO2 wavelengths are mostly shrugged off by metals. Metals are not easily combustible (at least at any sane temperatures). You're good!
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I'd give anything to be able to cut into steel with a laser----- anything except the money they want for a laser that WILL cut into steel...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle